Hebburn stun West Auckland

The Northern Echo: OVER TIME: Durham City’s Scott Fenwick is overpowered by the Sunderland RCA defence OVER TIME: Durham City’s Scott Fenwick is overpowered by the Sunderland RCA defence

HEBBURN Town sprang one of the surprises of the season when they ended West Auckland’s unbeaten league run and in doing so recorded their first win of the season.

Hebburn had not won in their previous 22 matches and selected a goalkeeper who had played a veterans’ match in the morning, but they kept West out for a 2-1 win.

Manager Scott Oliver said: “It wasn’t a case of smash and grab, it was a classical away performance. Because of our finances, I’ve had to rebuild the team twice this season, and every week is a like a preseason, so to win at West is very satisfying.”

West manager Peter Dixon said: “Sooner or later our unbeaten run was going to come to an end, and I had a feeling something would happen against Hebburn.

“I have no gripes about Hebburn getting the points, but from our point of view to go four months without losing is magnificent.”

After a goalless first half, Hebburn took a shock lead when Kris Goss headed in a free kick by Dan Reeves, and then stunned West even more with a shot by Chris Smith from a cross by Lee McMahon.

West pulled a goal back through Warren Byrne in the last minute of normal time, but it was too late to prevent the reverse.

Shildon stay one point clear at the top after beating Newcastle Benfield 1-0 at Dean Street. The only goal of the game arrived after three minutes when Jamie Harwood scored from a corner, and they had another goal by Lee Scroggins disallowed for offside.

Benfield player-manager Steve Bowey twice went close for his side in the second half.

Celtic Nation held off a late fightback to win 3-2 at Guisborough.

Midfielder Tommy Marron had a shot cleared off the Celtic Nation line, before the Carlisle side took the lead when Willie Gibson crossed for Micky Rae to score his tenth goal in the last five matches.

CN took a firm grip in the second half when Guisborough defender Luke Bythway deflected a Nathan Luscombe corner into his own net, and former Hartlepool and Darlington centre half Paul Johnson headed a third from a Gibson free kick.

Guisborough striker Mikey Roberts slotted past Arran Taylor to pull one back with five minutes left, and then Roberts scored the goal of the game, a curling free kick over the wall for another.

Ten man Bishop Auckland won 2-1 at fifth placed Ashington to go just two points behind the top five, although Ashington were furious about Bishops’ equaliser.

Bishops had the edge in the first half, but it was Ashington who took the lead when Glen Taylor headed in a cross by Kyle Downey.

Bishops midfielder Jeff Smith was red carded for a professional foul on Marc Walton, and after the ref originally gave a penalty, changed his mind on the advice of his assistant and awarded a free kick instead.

The disadvantage didn’t deter Bishops, who levelled with a Jonny Butler header from a Dan Hawkins free kick on 69 minutes, although Ashington claimed that the striker used his hand and assistant manager Perry Briggs was sent to the stands.

Bishops won the points with six minutes left, when a shot by new signing Ian Maddison went into the net through a crowd of players.

There was more controversy when Ashington had Chris Scott sent off.

Whitley Bay hit top form as they beat Marske United 5-0 at Hillheads. The game was fairly even until Leon Ryan headed in a James Novak corner, then Jarret Rivers headed the second from a Phil Airey cross.

The game really turned against Marske when keeper Oliver West was red carded for bringing down Airey and Paul Chow converted the penalty.

Paul Antony got the fourth, then Chow fired his 20th league goal of the season.

Newton Aycliffe lost 2-1 at Morpeth after leading 1-0 at half time.

Aycliffe, who gave a debut to striker Kerry Hedley, took the lead when Morpeth defender David Hiftle turned a Tom Atkinson cross into his own net, and they missed further chances to increase the lead through Jamie Owens and Paul Broom.

Morpeth levelled when Michael Chilton headed in a Steve Anderson cross, then Adam Forster charged through and scored the winner with ten minutes left.

Crook Town lost 3-2 at Dunston UTS. After a goalless first half, Crook’s Kyle Davis put his side into the lead with a powerful shot, but Dunston hit back when Jonny Wightman scored from a few yards.

Micky Dixon put UTS into the lead, then Wightman scored the third from a rebound. Robbie Bird pulled a late goal back for Crook with an effort into the top corner.

Durham City gave a debut to keeper Lewis Brass, signed from Carlisle, and he kept a clean sheet in their goalless draw at Sunderland RCA.

Brass pulled off a good save in the first minute, and then later in the game Jonathan Carmichael made two good stops.

Because of Morpeth’s win, Team Northumbria are now six points adrift in third bottom after drawing 1-1 at home to Bedlington. Peter Watling gave TN an early lead, but after TN had a man sent off, Paul King levelled for Bedlington.

Bottom club Billingham Town raised their hopes of ending their poor run when they led Penrith 2-0 at one stage, but they lost 5-4. Kieran Geithing headed Town into the lead after six minutes, then Karl Charlton scored the second with a left foot shot midway through the first half.

But then Penrith scored five times in the space of 12 minutes as Town collapsed. Phil Storey (2), Martyn Coleman, Steve Rigg and Jordan Little were all on target.

Geithing pulled a goal back near the end of normal time, and Brian Harrison scored a fourth.

North Shields are four points clear at the top of the second division after beating Darlington RA 5-1. Adam Scope gave them an early lead, then Dean Holmes made it 2-0 before the tenth minute mark. Gareth Bainbridge then scored twice before half time, one of them a penalty, to give him 24 league goals for the season.

Holmes scored after Bainbridge hit the bar for the fifth, before Jimmy Muir pulled a goal back with a penalty.

Second placed Heaton Stannington lost 3-1 at Washington.

Michael Coghlan gave them the lead, but Heaton levelled through Jonathan Wright’s 27th league goal of the season.

Washington made two substitutions, and they did the trick, with Anthony Ross and Paul Kane scoring.

Seaham Red Star stay in third after winning 2-0 at third bottom Brandon United, with goals by Chris Scott in the first half and Shaun Reay in the second.

Willington had the best win of the day in the division, winning 3-1 at Jarrow Roofing.

Willington took the lead after 31 minutes when Corey Nicholson set up Adam Pinkney to score from a few yards, but Roofing levelled through Stephen Young.

Roofing then had defender Ian Dixon sent off for an off-theball incident.

Willington took advantage in the second half, and Nicholson put them into the lead, and Michael Weston headed the third from a free kick.

Northallerton won their promotion clash 2-1 at Ainderby Road against Norton.

Nicky Martin gave Norton the lead, but Northallerton equalised with a powerful strike by Graham Caygill, and then took the lead through Colin Anderson on 32 minutes.

West Allotment are level on points with Seaham but have a worse goal difference after beating Thornaby 3-1. Chris Douglas fired Allotment into an early lead, but Jonny Burton levelled for Thornaby.

Michael Bell then restored Allotment’s lead before half time, but Thornaby missed some good chances to equalise in the second half.

Tow Law manager Gary Anderson branded his team’s display at Ryton as a “disgrace”

after they were beaten 2-0 by the bottom team side.

Dean Sinclair and Scott Gunn scored for Ryton.

Second bottom Esh Winning were easily beaten 4-0 at Whickham. Mark Patterson gave Whickham the lead after a Mark Fitzpatrick free kick was blocked. Ross Peareth and Anth Falcon then set up Fitzpatrick for the second after half time, then Steve Aiston fired the third into the top corner. Aiston finished a good move for the fourth, to leave Esh four points away from safety.

Birtley had a good 5-2 home win over Alnwick. Callum Hope, Matthew Soulsby, Dylan Morse, Dan Taggart and Jordan Lavery scored the goals, with Keith Douglas and Kevin Elliott replying.

Chester-le-Street and South Shields drew 2-2. Chester were twice in the lead with goals by Damien Stevens and an own goal by Chris Lock, but Anthony Burrell and Liam Clark equalised, Clark scoring in stoppage time.

Stokesley and Whitehaven drew 2-2 at Broughton Road.

Alex Caisley set up Reece Kelly to fire Stokesley into the lead, then Kelly scored another from a Greg Upton assist.

But Whitehaven pulled a goal back with a Matty Tymon penalty, and then levelled through Jack Hunter.

In the Evo-Stik League, Whitby drew 0-0 at home to Marine, while Blyth lost 3-0 at FC United of Manchester.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree