For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Saints victory caps off a good week for Magpies
4:23pm Sunday 24th February 2013 in Sport
Final Score: Newcastle United 4 Southampton 2
Alan Pardew got the win he craved as Newcastle fought back to beat former club Southampton and complete a good week.
The Magpies, who booked their place in the last 16 of the Europa League in Ukraine on Thursday evening, added three priceless Barclays Premier League points to their haul to ease themselves six clear of the relegation zone.
For Pardew, who was sacked by the Saints in August 2010, the win - his side's third in four league games - served up a measure of revenge for November's 2-0 defeat on the South Coast, but more importantly, allowed him to start looking upwards once again rather than anxiously over his shoulder.
They fell behind to Morgan Schneiderlin's third-minute strike, but Moussa Sissoko's third goal for the club and a superb Papiss Cisse volley gave them the advantage at the break.
Rickie Lambert, a player who was given his Saints chance by Pardew, levelled five minutes into the second half, but Yohan Cabaye's 67th-minute penalty and a Jos Hooiveld own goal 11 minutes from time ensured that the points stayed on Tyneside.
More Newcastle Utd News
- Newcastle boss Pardew banned for seven games after headbutt
- Newcastle midfielder in trouble as Pardew verdict nears
- Newcastle's Dan Gosling admits FA betting charge
- Pardew's personal hearing edges closer
- North-East Football Live: Saturday, March 8
- Newcastle boss accepts misconduct charge - but requests a personal hearing
- Newcastle boss Pardew accepts FA charge over Hull headbutt
- Santon keen to succeed at Newcastle
- Krul hopeful of Holland place
- How long will Newcastle boss be banned for?