For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Saints victory caps off a good week for Magpies
Updated 9:27am Monday 25th February 2013 in Sport
Final Score: Newcastle United 4 Southampton 2
Alan Pardew got the win he craved as Newcastle fought back to beat former club Southampton and complete a good week.
The Magpies, who booked their place in the last 16 of the Europa League in Ukraine on Thursday evening, added three priceless Barclays Premier League points to their haul to ease themselves six clear of the relegation zone.
For Pardew, who was sacked by the Saints in August 2010, the win - his side's third in four league games - served up a measure of revenge for November's 2-0 defeat on the South Coast, but more importantly, allowed him to start looking upwards once again rather than anxiously over his shoulder.
They fell behind to Morgan Schneiderlin's third-minute strike, but Moussa Sissoko's third goal for the club and a superb Papiss Cisse volley gave them the advantage at the break.
Rickie Lambert, a player who was given his Saints chance by Pardew, levelled five minutes into the second half, but Yohan Cabaye's 67th-minute penalty and a Jos Hooiveld own goal 11 minutes from time ensured that the points stayed on Tyneside.
More Newcastle Utd News
- Pardew wants Magpies to honour John Alder and Liam Sweeney next season
- Newcastle attacking target set to sign new deal with current employers
- Steven Taylor keen to be part of a "new era" for Newcastle
- Tributes pour in for Newcastle United fans killed in Malaysia Airlines plane crash
- Newcastle United football fans killed on downed Malaysia Airlines flight
- Dutch invasion should bring the best out of me on Tyneside says Janmaat
- Newcastle confirm Janmaat arrival, while Debuchy completes Arsenal move
- Has Ben Arfa played his last game for the Magpies?
- Newcastle new boy de Jong hoping to complete Manchester City hat-trick
- New-boy Riviere excited to get going at Newcastle