For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Girl rushed to hospital after overdosing on coffee
A TEENAGE girl was taken to hospital after overdosing on coffee.
Jasmine Willis, 17, from Stanley had 14 small black shots of espresso while working in her father's cafe.
The effect was so severe she started laughing and crying for no reason while serving customers who were bewildered by her behaviour.
But after her shift she went home to lie down and woke up with a temperature and unable to breathe.
Jasmine, who has just finished her GCSE's at Stanley School of Technology, and is going to Derwentside College, said: "I had only had five hours sleep and was at work at 8am so I thought I would have a double espresso to perk me up.
"It did the trick and I felt better so I had one after another and they seemed to be working because I felt great, I could take on the world."
By noon last Wednesday Jasmine, who lives at West Shield Villas, had drunk seven doubles and an hour later she began to feel unwell.
She added: "My nerves were all over the place. I was crying in front of the customers and had tears streaming down my face. People kept asking me if I was all right.
"I was on a major comedown and was so depressed."
Her father Gary Willis, who recently opened The Sandwich Bar, just off Chester Road in Stanley, said she should go home to lie down, but things seemed to get worse for Jasmine.
At 6.30pm she woke with a fever and could not feel her lips or breathe properly.
She added: "I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating.
"I was having palpitations my heart was beating so fast. I think I was going into shock."
Her cousin called for a paramedic, who attended, and called for an ambulance.
She was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham where doctors did tests and confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine.
She was finally allowed to go home at 11pm and has now made a full recovery.
Jasmine said: "I felt exhausted for days afterwards and can't even bear the sight of coffee.
"It is fine in moderation and really does pick you up, but I just overdid it big style.
"I didn't realise that could happen to you so I hope other people can learn from my mistake."