Terrier that swallowed ball which went undiscovered for two years bounces back

Terrier that swallowed ball which went undiscovered for two years bounces back

Border Terrier Trixie with a ball similar to the one she had removed.

An x-ray showing a ball inside Border Terrier Trixie

Border Terrier Trixie with owner Melanie Pounder and a ball similar to the one she had removed from her stomach

Border Terrier Trixie with owner Melanie Pounder, PDSA vet Emma Holt and a ball similar to the one she had removed from her stomach, which was believed to have been there for 2 years.

First published in News
Last updated

A PLAYFUL Border Terrier has bounced back from a serious health scare after a ball went unnoticed in its stomach for two years.

Trixie the dog had come down with a mysterious illness and after becoming concerned her owner took her into hospital for a scan.

This showed a small object in her stomach which after surgery was revealed to be a bouncy ball she had swallowed two years before.

Owner Melanie Pounder, 42, from Sunderland, said: "When it turned out to be the ball, I couldn't believe it, we just assumed Trixie had passed it through her system two years ago.

"To think it's been there the whole time is just incredible! I'm so grateful to PDSA (People's Dispensary for Sick Animals) for helping Trixie to get well again, as I love her to bits and we would be lost without her.

"I'm now very careful about which toys Trixie plays with, and I make sure she only has ones that are too big to swallow."

Emma Holt, PDSA vet, said she was fortunate the ball had not moved to her intestines, where it could have caused a fatal blockage

"Trixie was well in herself, but we knew that something wasn't right," she said.

"So we took an X-ray and spotted a small object in her abdomen, which looked suspicious. Exploratory surgery was carried out, and we soon discovered it was a bouncy ball.

"I've seen a few strange cases during my time as a vet, but never something like this where a foreign body has just been hiding away for so long before causing a problem."

Ms Holt also warned other dog owners to take special care when selecting the size of balls for their dogs to play with, as ones that are too small can cause choking or swallowing.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree