ANTI-terrorism police have charged a man following a major investigation at Newcastle University.
Part of the premises, known as the INTO building, on the city's Haymarket Lane, had to be evacuated and a controlled explosion carried out by members of the Bomb Disposal Unit on Newcastle Town Moor last Tuesday.
Two 18-year-old Russian students were arrested, one in London, and there was a further evacuation on Thursday as more searches were carried out by police.
Loading article content
Officers from the North East Counter Terrorism Unit have since taken over the investigation and this afternoon (Monday) West Yorkshire Police announced charges had been laid against one of those detained.
"The 18 year old man arrested in London on Tuesday, June 10, on suspicion of offences under the Terrorism Act, has today been charged with the following offences: Possession of a bladed article in a public place, contrary to section 139(1) of the Criminal Justice Act 1988, manufacture of an explosive substance, contrary to section 4(1) of the Explosive Substances Act 1883," a spokeswoman said.
"He has been remanded in custody and will appear before Magistrates in London tomorrow, Tuesday, June 17, 2014.
"A second 18 year old man, arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation, remains on police bail pending further enquiries."
Northumbria Police Assistant Chief Constable, Jo Farrell, said tonight (Monday): "We'd like to reassure people that, following an extensive investigation, a man has now been charged in connection with the incident at Newcastle University and will now progress through the court process. I'd like to stress to people that this appears to have been an isolated incident.
"We've worked closely with our partners, including the Counter Terrorism Unit and Newcastle University, throughout to keep the public safe and ensure they have been updated throughout the past week."