A DRIVER who reached speeds of 90mph on busy residential streets during a high-speed police chase has been warned he could be jailed.

Magistrates heard it was extremely lucky no one was injured or killed during Alexander Hickson’s two-mile attempt to evade police in Darlington on Saturday, May 31.

Hickson reached speeds of 90mph on the 30mph roads, with other cars and pedestrians having to take evasive action to avoid being struck by his Ford Ranger, magistrates in Newton Aycliffe were told.

Loading article content

Prosecutor Rachel Dodsworth said police in an unmarked car had signalled for Hickson to pull over at a mini-roundabout on Geneva Road at about 6.15pm, after their computer system showed he did not have a driving licence.

Ms Dodsworth said Hickson drove over the junction and turned right into Harris Street, a residential road, where he reached 60mph in the 30mph zone.

Hickson then got on to Estoril Road, another residential street with parked cars, making it effectively a single carriageway.

His car reached 50mph by 'bullying' another car out of the way and causing oncoming traffic to swerve out of his way.

Ms Dodsworth said Hickson then drove straight across the Yarm Road junction into Teal Road at around 40mph showing no concern for other traffic, before turning right into Malim Road where he reached 50mph.

The prosecutor said his turns were taken at speed with Hickson, 23, of King William Street in Darlington, barely in control of the car.

He then drove up McMullen Road reaching 90mph as he overtook other cars and crossed pedestrian crossings before attempting to turn onto Haughton Road, the court heard.

Ms Dodsworth said the high speed chase then came to an end as Hickson lost control of his car, mounted the footpath and collided with a tree.

Hickson then attempted to flee on foot but was swiftly caught by officers, magistrates were told.

The 23-year-old admitted driving dangerously, without insurance or a licence and failing to stop for police.

His solicitor Graham Hunsley offered little mitigation, other than to say his client admitted all the charges.

Magistrates said his offences were too serious for them to deal with and sent the case to Teesside Crown Court for sentencing at a future date.

Chairman of the bench Colin Beadle warned Hickson he could be jailed because of the 'speed and length of the pursuit, the danger caused and potential for death or injury'.