Spennymoor soldier died in "Camp Bastion tent blaze"

Private Dean Hutchinson

Private Dean Hutchinson

First published in News
Last updated

TWO British soldiers, including one from County Durham, died in a fire that engulfed their tent as they slept at Camp Bastion, an inquest heard today (Monday, May 12).

Privates Dean Hutchinson, 23, from Spennymoor, and Rob Wood, 28, lost their lives when flames swept through a logistical centre at the Helmand province headquarters in the early hours of February 14, 2011.

The pair, plus one survivor, were sleeping in the tented office so they could respond more quickly when vital supplies arrived.

Firefighters on the base were quickly at the scene but were unable to save the two men, who served with The Royal Logistic Corps.

The soldiers were identified by dental records, the inquest in Salisbury, Wiltshire, heard.

The men had been on duty on the night of February 13 in the 18ft by 24ft Transport Troop tent and were on standby in case any equipment needed unloading.

In an opening statement read to the court, David Ridley, Coroner for Wiltshire and Swindon, said: "There is a tent where it is common practice for on-duty personnel to sleep although someone has to remain awake to answer the phone.

"The tent was heated by a large air conditioning unit whereby warm air was pumped into the tent.

"The tent has a TV, fridge and kettle.

"Lance Corporal Sikeli Ratu reports they watched TV and he went to sleep about 3am.

"The lights in the tent were off but the TV was on.

"L/Cpl Ratu awoke, time unknown, and could immediately smell the smell of burnt wires (coming from the area of the TV and kettle).

"Flames were coming out the tube which ran to the air conditioning unit.

"L/Cpl Ratu got out of his sleeping bag and ran to the door.

"He shouted to Woody and Hutch to get out but there was no response.

"L/Cpl Ratu states that he heard Pte Hutchinson call his name out but by this time the fire had taken hold and was all over the side of the tent and the entrance."

The inquest heard that by the time firefighters arrived at the scene the blaze had taken hold of the tent with flames approximately 3ft high and only the metal tent poles remaining of the structure.

Pte Hutchinson, an avid Newcastle United fan, was a driver and had seven years' service with the Army, having joined at 16.

Pte Wood, a driver port operator from Hampshire, had become a father to a boy shortly before he died.

Private Dennis Chhetri, of The Royal Logistic Corps, said he became aware of the blaze at about 5.30am.

He said he did not know how long it took for the fire brigade to arrive but "it felt like a long time".

Pte Chhetri told the inquest that he did not remember whether there were smoke alarms fitted in the tent but the coroner referred him to his statement of three years ago which said there were.

Earlier the inquest, which is due to last two weeks, heard evidence from Acting Lt Colonel Steve Cornell, who was the commanding officer of the General Support Squadron.

Lt Col Cornell said the Transport Troop tent was located in front of the Quartermaster's Tent and during the course of the tour the first tent had been extended a few days before the blaze to house members of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, who work closely with The Royal Logistic Corps.

The coroner asked Lt Col Cornell whether this extension caused him any concerns.

"I wanted to know two things," he said.

"Firstly, who was working on the light and I wanted to know who was putting the light fitting in.

"It was one of the vehicle electricians and the second thing was that they had fitted a white fire retardant lining."

The inquest was adjourned until tomorrow (Tuesday, May 13).

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree