Grieving Sunderland mum tells how she found two-year-old daughter hanging from bedroom blind cord

Sophie Allen, two, from Sunderland, who tragically suffered brain damage and died after becoming entangled in the cord of her bedroom blind

Sophie pictured with brother Jayden and baby sister Amelia.

The bedroom where Sophie Allen became entangled in the blind cord

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by

A GRIEVING mum has spoken of the horrifying moment she discovered her two-year-old daughter hanging from the cord of her bedroom blind.

Little Sophie Allen died days after suffering catastrophic brain damage when a game of hide-and-seek with her brother went tragically wrong.

The accident happened in her Sunderland home on Monday, April 21. Sophie was taken to hospital and placed in an induced coma but died in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Her devastated mum Danielle Hudson, 28, wants to warn other parents of the dangers of cords on bedroom blinds.

She said: “Blinds are something that practically every household has and in children’s bedrooms.

“Just tie them out of the way, keep them out of reach of children, cut them or take them down altogether – just make sure children have no access to them.”

Sophie and her four-year-old brother Jayden were playing in their bedroom at the family home in Red House last Monday.

Housewife Danielle added: “My son came in and said ‘Sophie’s stuck’ and pointed at the cupboard. I didn’t understand what he meant and just thought she was hiding.

“I walked over to the window and saw a shadow behind the curtain. I pulled it open and she was hanging with the cord around her neck.

“I lifted her up and she made a little gasp. I carried her downstairs and her dad Peter was trying to do CPR, while I called for an ambulance.”

Sophie was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital, where staff worked for more than an hour to resuscitate her.

She was then transferred to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI), where she was placed in an induced coma.

The next day an MRI scan which showed brain damage from the lack of oxygen and Friday an EEG showed no brain activity at all. She died at about 3.20am on Saturday.

Danielle described her daughter, who would have been three in December, as a happy but mischievous little girl.

She said: “I want to thank the paramedic team and staff in the hospital. If it wasn’t for them, we would never have got the chance to say goodbye.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree