Pet owners warned Easter eggs could prove fatal for dogs

Easter eggs could prove fatal for curious dogs

Easter eggs could prove fatal for curious dogs

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter (Shildon and Spennymoor)

DOG owners are warned their haul of Easter eggs could prove poisonous to curious pets.

The British Veterinary Association (BVA) has stressed chocolate can prove toxic to pets - and dogs are the most likely to suffer.

Chocolate is dangerous as it contains theobromine, a naturally occurring chemical found in cocoa beans which dogs excrete less effectively than humans.

The level of toxicity depends on the type of chocolate with dark varieties most dangerous. Smaller dogs and puppies are also more at risk than bigger animals.

Robin Hargreaves, BVA president, said: “Every year vets treat thousands of cases of chocolate poisoning in pets and sadly the poisoning is sometimes fatal."

The signs of chocolate poisoning in dogs usually occur within 12 hours and they can last for up to three days.

Details on the subject can be obtained from bva-awf.org.uk/pet-care-advice/pets-and-poisons

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree