St Cuthbert's coffin fragment withdrawn from auction

St Cuthbert's coffin fragment withdrawn from auction

The fragment of St Cuthbert's coffin

St Cuthbert

Durham Cathedral

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter (Durham)

A FRAGMENT of St Cuthbert’s coffin has been withdrawn from sale at the eleventh hour.

The treasure, believed to have been taken as a souvenir by a 19th century clergyman, was due to be auctioned tomorrow (Thursday, March 27).

But a spokeswoman for Newcastle auctioneers Anderson and Garland said the executors had requested the lot be withdrawn from sale.

The fragment was due to be sold with a robe from St Cuthbert’s coffin.

Both are displayed in a 19th century box from the collection of Ian Curry, a Durham Cathedral architect from 1976 to 1997, who died in 2012.

They are believed to have been removed by Canon James Raine when he opened Cuthbert’s coffin in Durham Cathedral in 1827.

However, the coffin was also opened in 1899, 1946 and 1978.

A spokeswoman for Durham Cathedral, which had been considering bidding for the item – valued at £200 to £300 – said it was aware it had been withdrawn from sale.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree