A HEROIN addict who stole a television from a hotel room and more than £400 worth of goods from Darlington shops has been jailed.

Prosecuting, Rachael Dodsworth told Darlington Magistrates’ Court today (Thursday, March 20) that 39-year-old Terence Watson already had 56 offences to his name when he committed three thefts and a burglary in November and February.

Ms Dodsworth said that Watson stole a £90 crystal clock from House of Fraser on November 11, but was caught by a security guard.

Loading article content

Three months later he entered the Mercure King’s Head Hotel on Priestgate where CCTV cameras captured him trying several bedroom doorhandles before he let himself into an open room and stole a £350 television.

The following day, February 11, he stole £164.97 worth of electric toothbrushes from Superdrug in the Cornmill Shopping Centre.

He was caught after Cornmill security staff, who were aware of the hotel theft, became suspicious of Watson and contacted King’s Head staff who were able to identify him as the television burglar.

The following day Watson was at it again as he stole two Craghoppers jackets worth £160 from Millets.

He wore the jackets underneath his own coat, but was caught by a security guard who noticed the price tags hanging down below the hem.

Watson, of Stanhope Road North, Darlington, pleaded guilty to all of the offences in court.

Mitigating, Sonny Lawson said he should be given credit for his early guilty pleas and full admissions to police.

Mr Lawson said the root cause of Watson’s offending was a heroin addiction, but he had appeared to have reached the stage where he was willing to accept that he had a problem.

He added that Watson also had mental health problems.

After retiring to consider sentence, presiding magistrate David Williams told Watson that, in view of his offending history, his latest series of crimes crossed the custody threshold.

He sentenced him to a total of 20 weeks in prison.

Watson’s partner, who was watching in the public gallery, swore loudly and, as the police officers waited to take him away, they were also asked to eject her from the courtroom.