Darlington fire tragedy - 'every parent's worst nightmare

BLAZE AFTERMATH: The scene in Brunton Street, Darlington, on Saturday

BLAZE AFTERMATH: The scene in Brunton Street, Darlington, on Saturday

First published in News

THE parents of a woman killed in a house fire at the weekend have paid tribute to their beloved daughter, saying their lives will never be the same again.

Louise Hardisty was pronounced dead at the scene of the blaze in Brunton Street, Darlington, on Saturday (March 1) morning.

It is feared she suffered severe smoke inhalation after fire broke out in the kitchen of the terraced house, where she had lived for about seven years.

Miss Hardisty, who was 32, leaves behind her partner Lee, as well as parents Kevin and Val, who live in Northallerton, North Yorkshire.

In a statement, Mr and Mrs Hardisty told The Northern Echo: “This terrible tragedy is every parent’s worst nightmare.

“We have lost a beloved daughter, sister and granddaughter.

“Her partner Lee has lost his soul mate. Our lives will never be the same again.”

An investigation between the police and fire service concluded on Monday (March 3) that the blaze was not suspicious.

The cause of the blaze has not been made public.

A Durham Police spokeswoman said: “The police and fire service would like to remind the public to check their smoke alarms regularly to ensure they are working correctly.

“Our thoughts are with Louise's family and friends.”

Mr Hardisty, a former environmental health officer, is well-known in Northallerton as a member of Hambleton District Council and Romanby Parish Council.

The couple added: “We would like to take this opportunity to thank the emergency services who tried so hard to save Louise and also her neighbours for their promptness in alerting the emergency services and their kind words about Louise.

“We would also like to thank the police officers who have helped use through this harrowing time.”

Sympathies have also been expressed on Facebook, as well as The Northern Echo’s website.

Fire crews arrived at Miss Hardisty’s home on Saturday morning, having been alerted by neighbours who saw smoke coming from a kitchen window.

Miss Hardisty was carried from the smoke-logged living room and efforts were made to revive her.

She was given oxygen, but emergency services were unable to save her.

Residents of Brunton Street, including next-door neighbour Sandra Watterson, have told of their shock at Miss Hardisty’s death.

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:41pm Mon 3 Mar 14

SS says...

Condolences to the family. RIP to the lady involved.
Condolences to the family. RIP to the lady involved. SS
  • Score: 10

4:46pm Tue 4 Mar 14

pixie4612 says...

So sad. My thoughts are with the family.
So sad. My thoughts are with the family. pixie4612
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree