Prime Minister pledges support to Durham Police probe into Medomsley Detention Centre abuse

Prime Minister pledges support to Durham Police probe into Medomsley Detention Centre abuse

Prime Minister pledges support to Durham Police probe into Medomsley Detention Centre abuse

Prime Minister pledges support to Durham Police probe into Medomsley Detention Centre abuse

First published in News
Last updated
The Northern Echo: Photograph of the Author by

THE PRIME Minister has today given his assurance that Durham Police will be given all the support they need as they deal with inquiries into allegations of sexual and physical abuse at a North-East detention centre.

David Cameron was responding to North West Durham MP Pat Glass during Prime Minister’s Questions in the House of Commons today (February 5), as she highlighted one of the largest investigations of its kind centred on Medomsley Detention Centre, near Consett.

Mrs Glass’ intervention comes as police revealed 375 potential new victims had come forward since a new investigation was launched last August, into claims of abuse at the Home Office-run centre between the late 1960s and mid 1980s.

Mrs Glass said: “The Prime Minister will be aware of the investigation in the systematic beating, abuse and rape of young men and boys at the former Medomsley Detention Centre in my constituency.

“The victim toll has now topped 300 and this is the biggest investigation ever undertaken by Durham Constabulary – a relatively small police force.

“Will the Prime Minister commit that if it proves necessary, his home secretary will meet with the police and crime commissioner, the chief constable and myself to ensure that the highly successful team has the resources it needs to see this investigation to its conclusion?

“The victim’s deserve no less.”

Mr Cameron replied: “I am very happy to give the Honourable Lady that assurance, because I don’t support the police merger ideas of the past.

“I think some of our smaller police forces are hugely capable, but when they are doing very complex and large investigations like this on occasion they do need help and support - so we should make sure that is available.”

An earlier investigation led to a former catering officer at the centre, Neville Husband being jailed in 2003 for abusing a number of young men over a period of time. He died in 2010, following his release from prison.

Up to last Monday (January 27) police had spoken to 143 people, the vast majority of whom were victims who had not previously come forward.

The total also included a small number of possible witnesses or callers who had information which might help the police inquiries.

Coverage in The Northern Echo and a BBC1 documentary has since prompted a further 232 calls to police, bringing the total number to 375.

A police spokesman said: "All those who have rung over the last ten days will be seen by an officer over the coming weeks and steered towards the appropriate support and counselling."

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree