POLICE investing the murder of football memorabilia seller John “The Badge” Roberts have found DNA at his home.
Officers are urging anyone who has visited his home in Winlaton, Gateshead, to come forward.
Last month officers arrested two men, a male aged 17 and a female aged 16, on suspicion of murder.
They arrested a girl of 15 on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. They were released on bail pending further enquiries.
Officers have now recovered DNA evidence of both male and females from Mr Roberts’ home, where he was found dead.
Detective Superintendent Roger Ford said: "What this means is we now have scientific evidence linking people to the crime scene as we know whoever this DNA belongs to has visited John's house in Winlaton at some point.
"The focus of the appeal remains catching John's killer, or killers, and we're now appealing for anyone who may have visited John's house, 11 Park Terrace, to contact us and eliminate themselves from our enquiries.”
Police have started taking DNA samples from people who knew Mr Roberts and are urging anyone else who has visited his home to arrange to give a sample to police.
"I can reassure anyone who is concerned about providing a sample, that it will be destroyed once eliminated from our enquiries,” said Det Supt Ford.
He added that there was a cash reward for information that leads to an arrest and charge. Call Northumbria Police’s major crime team on 101, extension 69191, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Jimmy Savile "licked nurse's hand" during visit to North-East hospital
- Claudia Lawrence search reveals no clues - but detectives feel latest lead significant
- Nine Savile abuse complaints ignored
- Police helicopter supporters make impassioned pleas for service to survive
- Would-be robber had gun taken off him by shop staff
- Cannabis dealers face further wait for sentence
- Legal high mugger 'shocked, horrified and deeply ashamed' after admitting assault on frail pensioner Alan Barnes
- Pensioner devastated after thieves steal £6,000 life savings while he tended allotment
- Man who drowned and dismembered 'possessed' dog given suspended sentence
- Police and fire probe Stockton bookie blaze