POLICE investing the murder of football memorabilia seller John “The Badge” Roberts have found DNA at his home.
Officers are urging anyone who has visited his home in Winlaton, Gateshead, to come forward.
Last month officers arrested two men, a male aged 17 and a female aged 16, on suspicion of murder.
Loading article content
They arrested a girl of 15 on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. They were released on bail pending further enquiries.
Officers have now recovered DNA evidence of both male and females from Mr Roberts’ home, where he was found dead.
Detective Superintendent Roger Ford said: "What this means is we now have scientific evidence linking people to the crime scene as we know whoever this DNA belongs to has visited John's house in Winlaton at some point.
"The focus of the appeal remains catching John's killer, or killers, and we're now appealing for anyone who may have visited John's house, 11 Park Terrace, to contact us and eliminate themselves from our enquiries.”
Police have started taking DNA samples from people who knew Mr Roberts and are urging anyone else who has visited his home to arrange to give a sample to police.
"I can reassure anyone who is concerned about providing a sample, that it will be destroyed once eliminated from our enquiries,” said Det Supt Ford.
He added that there was a cash reward for information that leads to an arrest and charge. Call Northumbria Police’s major crime team on 101, extension 69191, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Darlington bus crash: Driver blames mechanical failure, court hears
- Six years jail for driver who killed new grandfather when speeding car rammed vehicle into bus shelter
- Traffic officers recover two stolen vans in separate incidents
- Police dog Zeeke ran through glass door in hunt for burglars
- Police appeal after two-in-one burglary in Spennymoor nets thieves Skoda Octavia vRS
- Men who admitted having sex with 14-year-old boy warned prison is 'inevitable'
- Pictures: Have you been targeted by the Consett graffiti vandal? Police investigate 'unsightly damage' in town centre
- Woman prisoner with "extensive" mental health issues died nine days after cell ‘hanging’, inquest told
- Norma Bell murder trial: Son of pensioner murdered in her home told her he was worried about her safety just hours before attack
- Family of Second World War veteran killed in a hit and run 25 years ago make fresh appeal for information