For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Police find DNA at murdered man's home
3:31pm Monday 11th March 2013 in News
POLICE investing the murder of football memorabilia seller John “The Badge” Roberts have found DNA at his home.
Officers are urging anyone who has visited his home in Winlaton, Gateshead, to come forward.
Last month officers arrested two men, a male aged 17 and a female aged 16, on suspicion of murder.
They arrested a girl of 15 on suspicion of perverting the course of justice. They were released on bail pending further enquiries.
Officers have now recovered DNA evidence of both male and females from Mr Roberts’ home, where he was found dead.
Detective Superintendent Roger Ford said: "What this means is we now have scientific evidence linking people to the crime scene as we know whoever this DNA belongs to has visited John's house in Winlaton at some point.
"The focus of the appeal remains catching John's killer, or killers, and we're now appealing for anyone who may have visited John's house, 11 Park Terrace, to contact us and eliminate themselves from our enquiries.”
Police have started taking DNA samples from people who knew Mr Roberts and are urging anyone else who has visited his home to arrange to give a sample to police.
"I can reassure anyone who is concerned about providing a sample, that it will be destroyed once eliminated from our enquiries,” said Det Supt Ford.
He added that there was a cash reward for information that leads to an arrest and charge. Call Northumbria Police’s major crime team on 101, extension 69191, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
More Crime News
- Drug addict jailed after nursing home burglary
- New people come forward in hunt for missing Claudia
- Anti-crime meetings in Shildon believed to be under threat are to continue
- Man denies indecent assault charge
- Man cleared of killing Pc Keith Blakelock gives first interview since trial verdict
- Benefits cheat who was filmed playing for his local cricket team set to lose house so he can repay the cash
- Judge issues warning to 'pain relief'' cannabis smokers
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder following house fire in Gateshead
- Vandals attack North Yorkshire school
- UPDATED 1PM: Man appears in court accused of chip shop owner's murder