THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Loading article content
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Living Jewels: Drointon Nurseries, Ripon
- Giving pupils a sense of adventure
- The tiny school that thinks big
- Penny Farthing Experience comes to Ripon's Workhouse Museum
- A blessing from above for Tractor Fest preparations
- Woman biker dies in crash that involved four vehicles
- A rare chance to see the 'hidden treasure' gardens
- Speed camera vans on North Yorkshire roads set to double
- Fire crews from six towns called to blaze near A19
- First images of new 'green' service area planned for A1(M) that could create 300 jobs