THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Loading article content
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Bodybuilder’s bigger ambitions
- Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries following crash on A690
- WATCH: Hard-hitting video shows shocking footage of people trespassing on railway tracks
- A66 reopens after accident involving lorry and car
- Man left dangling in air over terrified girl after slipping from seat on pirate boat ride
- Ripon pensioner rescued after fall on rocks on tiny North-East island
- Couple transform garden summerhouse into fantasy B&B accommodation
- Congregation bakes cakes to counter post-Brexit racism
- Rolling back the years at reunion
- Sainsbury's and Tesco recall tinned products over fears they contain rubber