Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans
3:13pm Tuesday 5th March 2013 in News
THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Keeping blacksmiths' skills alive - leading authority to give talk
- Parishioners begging vicars for food - Bishop of Durham
- Victims get chance to improve their treatment
- 463% rise in North-East foodbank users in just 12 months
- 'Amazing, appalling, shocking' - the reality of Foodbank Britain
- Business group claims Ripon is going downhill due to a lack of leadership
- Thieving company accountant must pay back £21,923 to valve maker
- New super-diocese will be the biggest in the country
- Tractors converge on North Yorkshire
- Dales visitor attraction opens adventure sport walkways
Comments are closed on this article.