THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Loading article content
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Return of the mighty tractors
- Mace bearers to witness new warden installed at Ripon Cathedral
- Events to celebrate civic role
- Safer steps thanks to council cash
- Watch: Giant telescope brings the universe down to Earth - well North Yorkshire to be precise
- Two arrested after mini digger stolen from Ripon farm
- Two new Canons installed at Ripon Cathedral
- How crime scene investigation techniques give clues to history
- Ripon: City-wide alert follows shed theft crime spree
- Pictures: Love Your Pet competition entries flood in with a professional pet photoshoot and hamper from The Designer Dog Company up for grabs