THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Youngsters get the comic strip treatment
- Big response to nature reserve sex attack as police plan to quiz visitors tomorrow
- Cathedral suing NHS after paying injured worshipper £130,000
- Himalayan garden offers fresh views for visitors
- Heritage museum to stage paupers' funerals
- Easter chick scheme rules the roost
- Former Ripon schoogirl takes over at the Guardian
- Name change for bishop is final part of jigsaw
- Region's farmers receive rewards at Northern Farmer Awards
- Coming soon - the yurt that beats them all