THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Loading article content
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Your Pictures: Heavy snowfall hits region causing disruption on roads
- Students smash £1,000 fundraising target
- Full military funeral held for Lancaster bomber hero shot from the sky more than 70 years ago
- Young chefs are ones to watch
- MP praises the ‘Sights and Sounds’ of Ripon city
- Harness racing is a money-spinner
- School gets the chance to win a triple crown
- Teenage cricketer aims high
- School gets a chance at a triple crown
- Heartbroken father describes picturesque river as a “serial killer” after it claimed life of student son