Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans
Updated 10:41pm Tuesday 5th March 2013 in News
THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Students take on eco-challenge
- Outgoing council chairman raises £22k for wounded soldiers
- Ripon Cathedral enthronement completes ceremonies for new Bishop
- Clergy abseil off cathedral roof to boost charity
- Estate agents use unmanned aircraft to market historic property
- Teenager girl cyclist seriously injured in traffic accident
- Butchers create pie-cycle to herald Tour de France
- Fun day raises grand total for sick children's charity
- Abbey proves an inspiration to youngsters
- Disgraced former mayor faces jail for pocketing ice cream takings
Comments are closed on this article.