Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans
3:13pm Tuesday 5th March 2013 in News
THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- MP calls for boycott of Virgin Money, as bank ends funding for Northern Rock Foundation
- Northern Rock Foundation closure a 'massive blow for North-East charities'
- Farm services firm staff take on cycling challenge for Yorkshire Air Ambulance
- Pet owners warned Easter eggs could prove fatal for dogs
- Spring Classic Car and Bike Show held in Ripon next month
- Keeping blacksmiths' skills alive - leading authority to give talk
- Tour de France opening ceremony tickets to go on sale
- Parishioners begging vicars for food - Bishop of Durham
- Victims get chance to improve their treatment
- 'Amazing, appalling, shocking' - the reality of Foodbank Britain
Comments are closed on this article.