Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans
3:13pm Tuesday 5th March 2013 in News
THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Young chefs get experience in Masham restaurant
- Fishburn couple flooded for the third time after heavy rain hits the North-East
- Engineering boss faces prospect of jail following conviction of manslaughter of worker
- Fraja Simpson "joking with nurses" after successful surgery to remove tumour
- Town hall celebrates in style
- Police warn motorists against taking photographs of accident scenes
- North Yorkshire County Council re-elects leader and elects new chairman
- Grants scheme to help communities and groups mark the centenary of the First World War
- Operation Christmas Child charity launches new appeal
- Senior clergy take their message to the heavens as they enjoy a rollercoaster ride
Comments are closed on this article.