Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Army barracks to close in Ripon as Government moves forward with restructuring plans
3:13pm Tuesday 5th March 2013 in News
THE historic bond between the army battalions and the towns where they have been stationed will be broken with news the Government is to close four barracks, including one in North Yorkshire, shadow defence secretary Jim Murphy said today.
Mr Murphy said the Ministry of Defence had also reneged on a pledge to send thousands of troops returning from Germany north of the border, in what was a real blow for Scotland.
He attacked the Government as Defence Secretary Philip Hammond told the Commons that his department planned to close Claro Barracks in Ripon, North Yorkshire, Howe Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, Craigiehall Barracks in Edinburgh and Cawdor Barracks in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire.
Meanwhile, parts of Redford Barracks in Edinburgh; Forthside Barracks in Stirling; and Copthorne Barracks in Shrewsbury, will also close.
More Ripon News
- Stargazers asked to help out in North-East light pollution survey
- Councillor chosen for third term as Mayor of Ripon
- Disbanded army squadron gives parting gift to Ripon
- Help the North stake its claim to England's Hall of Fame
- Runners invited to get fit at ancient abbey
- Disabled plunged into “distress and financial difficulties” by botched benefits test, watchdog warns
- Labour suggests single police force for whole of North-East
- Tributes paid to nut allergy bar manager as investigation is launched
- Insight into the inner workings of the British Library
- Teenager named as best soldier
Comments are closed on this article.