A NEW free school will have an extended day, it has been announced.
The Durham Free School day will last from 8.40am to 4.40pm.
The new secondary school is set to open in September at a location expected to be announced shortly.
Loading article content
The school day will begin at 8.40am, classes will start at 9.15am and during the final hour of the day pupils will be able to choose between supervised homework sessions, tutor support, sport or musical activities.
Headteacher Peter Cantley said: “We are passionately committed to placing children and parents at the heart of our educational vision.
“We really want to go the extra mile for all our students and break the mould of current conventions, in relation to the framework of the traditional school day, by increasing student choice, providing support with homework, offering the opportunity to do sports activities every day and extending the range of qualifications students are able to gain.”
The school will open with around 60 year seven pupils, expanding by one year group each academic year to an 11 to 18 school and sixth form with up to 840 students.
For more information, visit durhamfreeschool.org
More Durham News
- Fans travelling to Newcastle-Rotherham game advised to get train early from Darlington and Durham
- Little Mix tickets on sale ... here's where you can buy tickets for Chester-le-Street concert
- Crown believe Ludworth drug dealer, jailed for blackmail in October, made an estimated £70k from his activities
- Staff ‘should have' entered suicidal inmate’s cell earlier - inquest jury finds
- Villagers dismayed at company's plans to press ahead with opencast coal mine
- Consultation proposed on a new parish council for Durham City
- Students set to entertain with Spamalot production
- Hound of the Baskervilles
- Darlington has second highest proportion of under-performing secondary schools in country, figures reveal
- End of the road for Durham Big Ride cycling event