A DRUNKEN lout who left a father for dead after an "appalling" attack outside his home was today (Tuesday, February 26) locked up for six-and-a-half years.

Sean Cole suffered horrific injuries when he was knocked out, kicked and stamped on after complaining about noisy youths in the street.

The offshore worker had gone out with his wife, Louise, to ask the gang to move away from their home in Loftus, east Cleveland last April.

Loading article content

Timothy Hagar kicked the couple's dog in the head while his sister assaulted Mrs Cole - then turned his attentions to her husband.

Mr Cole had already been knocked unconscious and was helpless when Hagar stamped on his head "full-force" and kicked him in the chest.

Hagar, 26, had blood splatters on his right training shoe and a piece of flesh on its heel, prosecutor David Crook told Teesside Crown Court.

Mrs Cole rushed to her 43-year-old husband's aid and thought he was dead and screamed for help as he lay motionless on the ground.

After being released from hospital, the victim was not recognised by his five-year-old daughter because his face was so disfigured.

Hagar, a binge-drinking supermarket warehouse worker, was so drunk he could not remember the attack, but was said to be ashamed.

When his mother saw the aftermath of the trouble, she said: "If it's my son who's responsible, I'll disown him", the court was told.

Paul Newcombe, mitigating, said: "He is at a loss to explain his behaviour. All he can venture is that he drank an enormous amount."

In a letter to his victim, Hagar said: "I am sincerely sorry for what happened to you, and I am completely and utterly ashamed of myself."

Judge Simon Bourne-Arton, QC, told Hagar he had ruined Mr Cole's life through "seconds of gratuitous, mindless violence".

In an impact statement, the victim told how he is no longer fit for his £4,000-a-month job or to play saxophone in his band.

The family has since moved to Scotland, but because of the financial plight, has been served with an eviction notice for mortgage arrears.

Mr Cole said: "I will never forgive the man for what he did. My own wife thought I was dead. She witnessed the attack.

"One thing that still upsets me is that the day I was released from hospital, I saw my children and tried to cuddle them.

"My five-year-old daughter got scared and ran off. She did not believe I was her father because I didn't look like him."

He suffered a double jaw fracture and lost teeth in the attack, and still has numbness down one side of his face, said Mr Crook.

Hagar, of Turner Street in nearby Redcar, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent at an earlier court hearing.

Speaking afterwards, Detective Constable Matthew Waterfield said: “This was a horrific incident and the victim has shown strength and courage throughout this investigation.

"We are pleased with the sentence which reflects the true nature of the danger that Timothy Hagar poses. This should spell a warning for anyone thinking of taking part in alcohol-fuelled violence.”

More Crime News