Newton Aycliffe family has lucky escape after fire breaks out in their home (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Newton Aycliffe family has lucky escape after fire breaks out in their home
A BABY and toddler were rushed to hospital this morning after a fire broke out in the kitchen of their home in Newton Aycliffe, County Durham.
Firefighters were called to Walker Lane at about 2.30am following reports of a smoke filled house.
The crews rescued a dog from the property and put out a small fire, which is believed to have been caused by something being placed on top of the oven.
An adult, a nine-month-old baby and a 21-month-old toddler were taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital as a precautionary measure.
District manager Robin Turnbull of County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue said there had not been a smoke alarms in the property prior to the incident.
“There is hard and tangible evidence that smoke alarms save lives,” he said. “This fire was only small but it could have been a lot worse.”
It is estimated about £2,000-worth of smoke damage has been caused to the property.
This weekend, firefighters will be offering free smoke alarms and fire safety checks in the Walker Lane area.
More Newton Aycliffe News
- 'Appalling, ugly, a disgrace, an abomination' - latest row over Durham Market Place
- Music festival will help football club improve security
- MP calls for boycott of Virgin Money, as bank ends funding for Northern Rock Foundation
- Northern Rock Foundation closure a 'massive blow for North-East charities'
- Mysterious giant egg appears in school grounds
- Pet owners warned Easter eggs could prove fatal for dogs
- Top martial artists at North event
- £20m student digs plan would create 'totally unbalanced community'
- Political spat marks birth of 'super authority'
- Approval given for 120 homes in Spennymoor on DurhamGate site
Comments are closed on this article.