A MAN has died after being struck by a lorry just moments after his car was involved in an accident with another heavy goods vehicle.
The A19 was closed for about 10 hours after the accidents, near the Kirkby Sigston junction on the southbound carriageway, and then the junction for Over Silton on the same carriageway.
The man was pronounced dead later the same day but police are not yet in a position to identify him.
The man was driving a black Ford Focus, and as a result of the first accident between the car and a lorry, his car left the road.
Although the lorry driver did not stop he has been identified.
The second crash happened when another heavy goods vehicle hit the man, who was then standing in the road.
Traffic Sergeant Richard Parsons said: “I am asking for anyone who was on this stretch of the A19 around the time of the collision to come forward and contact the police if they have not already done so.”
Anyone who can help with this investigation is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, select option 2 and ask for Richard Parsons. Alternatively information can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Transport News
- Balls backs trans-Pennine rail plan
- Prime Minister pledges air passenger duty cut for North-East airports - if Scotland does the same
- Government sets out Northern Powerhouse plans
- Prime Minister describes "extraordinary" decision to scrap Pacer trains
- Multi-billion pound plans to revolutionise North transport links
- Man arrested for drink driving after A19 crash
- Durham Tees Valley 'moving in right direction' as passenger numbers increase
- Proposal to help North-East airports is rejected by MPs
- Rail union lambasts 'fantasy figures' behind East Coast contract
- Bus routes under threat as coach firm announces closure
More Thirsk News
- James Herriot's legacy realised after statue unveiling
- Horse owner 'mortified' as equestrian centre shooting trial collapses
- Top musicians pass on their secrets
- Charity launches youth club for nine to 12-year-olds
- Region's farmers receive rewards at Northern Farmer Awards
- Bids made to create £4m sports village beside estate
- Hair salon contests national design award for innovative scheme
- Laura gets craft to honour her gran
- Candidates to attend hustings meeting for older voters
- Teenager alerts emergency services to huge blaze that engulfed hundreds of hay bales