For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Robber strikes woman on head in shop raid
2:31pm Tuesday 19th February 2013 in News
A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Man slashed girlfriend's hand with a knife after "mad half hour"
- Garden centre thief with drink problem spared jail for £3k thefts
- Arrest following seaside sex attack
- Sunderland PC Keith Blakelock curled up in a ball and begged for help as rioters attacked, murder trial told
- Stockton man beaten with baseball bat after answering door following pub skirmish
- Dave McLuckie hits out at Cleveland Police 'expenses' claims
- Police appeal for help following Newton Aycliffe bike theft
- 'Disgraceful' attack on man during burglary at his home
- Five years in prison for pair who blackmailed Pickering man who went on to take own life
- Football matches, rugby games and free food - the benefits of being at the top of Cleveland Police
More York & Harrogate News
- Police searching for missing Ben seek two men captured on CCTV
- Girlfriend of missing man appeals for information on his whereabouts
- Holidaymakers encouraged to smell city attractions
- Campaigners gather to protest at the re-privatisation of the East Coast Main Line
- Still no sign of missing Ben Clarkson as police continue to search York river
- Stargazers asked to help out in North-East light pollution survey
- Region's courts may grind to a standstill as lawyers protest over legal aid cuts
- Bogus golfers targeted elite players in £750k clubhouse raids
- Police step up security in York for Liberal Democrat conference
- Treat for choc-loving mums
Comments are closed on this article.