A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
Loading article content
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Five suspected thieves arrested after cross-border pursuit to stop car on A1(M)
- Crackdown on illegal use of mobile phones on Durham and Cleveland's roads from Monday
- Darlington bus crash: Driver blames mechanical failure, court hears
- Six years jail for driver who killed new grandfather when speeding car rammed vehicle into bus shelter
- Traffic officers recover two stolen vans in separate incidents
- Police dog Zeeke ran through glass door in hunt for burglars
- Police appeal after two-in-one burglary in Spennymoor nets thieves Skoda Octavia vRS
- Men who admitted having sex with 14-year-old boy warned prison is 'inevitable'
- Pictures: Have you been targeted by the Consett graffiti vandal? Police investigate 'unsightly damage' in town centre
- Woman prisoner with "extensive" mental health issues died nine days after cell ‘hanging’, inquest told
More York & Harrogate News
- Concerns mount for missing woman in her fifties
- Brother who inspired Dame Judi to act dies aged 91
- Claudia Lawrence's father pledges to never stop looking for her
- Conductor's kindness helps young soldier reach family funeral
- Darlington has second highest proportion of under-performing secondary schools in country, figures reveal
- Banking accountant and company director admits fare dodging offence
- Ancient tower plan
- £18m plan to revamp museum
- Minister’s pledge to charities
- Remembering the Holocaust