A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
Loading article content
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Two pet dogs killed in arson attack in Middlesbrough
- Ron Hogg announces his Police and Crime Plan following re-election
- Man set on fire in homophobic hate attack in Stockton
- Cleveland Fire Brigade launch summer clampdown to tackle arson attacks
- Durham appoints first female chief officer in force history
- Hartlepool funeral director denies child sex charges spanning two decades
- Teenager who kidnapped toddler was sexually exploited online, court told
- A parent's worst nightmare - the moment a two-year-old girl was taken by teenagers
- Teenage girls locked up for kidnapping toddler in Primark had 'evil intent'
- Support scheme for North-East prisoners and families 'is reducing re-offending'
More York & Harrogate News
- Maze to unveil Daisy’s great-grandchildren
- Bearded man hunted after 'despicable' raid
- Rare machines from biking's 'Golden Era' at North East Vintage Motorcycle Club run
- Curious Poodle puppy needs rescuing after getting head stuck in gate
- Shock at sudden death of school head
- Brutal badger attack sentence branded 'ridiculous' by North Yorkshire animal rescuer
- Council to cut funding for drug and alcohol misuse treatment by half a million pounds
- Vintage 4x4s will be a big draw for show
- Show misses record by a whisker
- Win for Queen's horse at Great Yorkshire Show