A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- 11-year-old boy fends off would-be attacker in Catterick Garrison
- Arrest after woman hit by car in Darlington town centre
- WATCH ARREST VIDEO: Officers may face misconduct hearing after 'brutal' arrest of man they claim headbutted policeman
- Son of Greggs founder in court charged with alleged child sex offences
- Paedophile who tried to snatch schoolgirl off the street faces lengthy jail spell
- Cleveland Police arrest man, 21, under new drug driving laws
- Sunderland star Adam Johnson arrested over allegation of sexual activity with schoolgirl, 15
- Doctor cupped schoolgirl patient's breasts and played with her nipples, court told
- Woman hurt after being pushed to floor by robber during filling station raid
- 'Kick trolls off Facebook and Twitter for life' - Durham Chief Constable
More York & Harrogate News
- Electrification of rail routes 'top priority' says task force
- Sir Tom Jones at York and Scarborough
- Raiders escaper with jewellery worth thousands
- Iconic tea rooms to serve up funds to local charity
- People invited to get involved in farm heritage project
- Work on controversial £1.4bn waste incinerator scheme is started
- BALLOT: Have you travelled on the new Virgin East Coast mainline? Let us know your experiences
- Tickets fly - although Great Yorkshire Show is still 130 days away
- War of the Roses skeletons discovery - Lancastrians executed by Yorkists?
- Restaurant fined for hygiene offences