A HOODED robber struck a shop assistant on the head and threatened her with what he claimed was a knife in a botched robbery.
The raider struck at the Millennium Food and Wine shop, on Bishopthorpe Road, York, at about 12.40pm on Monday, February 18.
He threatened to harm a female member of staff with a knife that he claimed was in his bag and struck her on the head with his hand while he attempted to break into a till by smashing it onto the floor.
Loading article content
The would-be robber then left the shop empty-handed, making off on what appeared to be a mountain bike.
The shop assistant, who did not see a knife, suffered bruising to her head and was checked over at the scene by paramedics. She did not require hospital treatment.
The suspect was described as slim, about 5ft 6ins tall, aged in his late teens, with distinctive pale blue eyes.
He was wearing a three-quarter length royal blue rain jacket that was elasticated around the waist and with a thick black stripe across the shoulders. It had a blue hood and high collar that he used to cover his face.
He was also wearing dark tracksuit bottoms, dark grey gloves and was carrying a dark JD sports drawstring bag with three white stripes on it.
Acting Detective Inspector Fiona Wynne said: “This was a terrifying experience for the member of staff which has left her very shaken and deeply upset.”
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101, select option two and ask for CID. Alternatively call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555-111.
More Crime News
- Eye expert adds his voice to laser pen condemnation
- Teenage boy found guilty of raping two girls
- Five boys jailed for vicious mugging in city-centre car park
- Teenage boy on trial accused of raping two girls
- Jury unable to reach verdicts in trial of University Challenge contestant accused of rape
- Grangetown: Driver sought after police pursuit
- Hartlepool: 5 pensioners accused of sexually abusing young boys in public toilets
- Darlington man who was part of York network supplying cocaine and heroin to 'drugs convenience store' is brought to justice
- Middlesbrough: Two men grab woman by hair and rob her in park
- Two arrested after mini digger stolen from Ripon farm
More York & Harrogate News
- Closure of barracks is ‘wrong’
- Staff shortage leads to cleanliness row at hospital
- Life-saving wife calls for compulsory CPR training
- Man sought after pub brawl
- Sir Tom Jones announces open air gig in North Yorkshire; ticket details here
- Man, 25, found critically injured in city centre - police cordon off bridge
- Floating arts centre gets go-ahead
- £1,000 for charity as Scarborough National Farmers Union holds fundraising dinner dance
- 3 months to find new home: Care home residents dealt blow after closure plans released
- Grand Opera House, York: Keeping it true, with Kinks