TWO men a woman invaded a mosque and shouted racist abuse.
Police are trying to trace the trio who caused a disturbance at the Nasir Mosque on Brougham Terrace in Hartlepool at 7.45pm on Tuesday, February 5.
Imam Tahir Selby was leading prayers at the male side of the mosque and did not see the trouble, but was later informed.
He said: “They came in and went upstairs to the ladies’ side. Someone challenged them about why they were there.
"At first they said they wanted the toilet but then they started shouting abuse.
"I don’t know what they said exactly but it was chanting. I think it was the usual sort of thing people face. As far as I understand it was having a go at nationality and religion and they eventually left.
“We got them on CCTV. I’d say one was about 20 and the others were 23 or 24. They weren’t young kids.”
All are described as young, white and of slim build. Both the men were wearing black woolly hats and tracksuits. The woman had long, fair hair and cream coat.
The Nasir Mosque was built at a cost £500,000 and was the first purpose built mosque in Hartlepool.
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Claire McMahon on the non-emergency number 101.
More Hartlepool News
- How did your school fare in the Sunday Times Parent Power guide?
- Jail for man caught with Rambo-style hunting knife
- Hartlepool organisations awarded more than £28,000 to help improve IT skills
- Council officer who investigated care home where a dementia patient died tells court he was "not happy" with safety precautions
- Meter reader stumbled across cannabis crop, court hears.
- Driving the road safety message home
- Care home boss on trial after pensioner plunged to her death from window
- Changes 'could send borrowers to loansharks'
- Cash for Kids launch ‘biggest ever’ annual toy appeal
- Woman's cafe is tribute to her gran
More Crime News
- Police name man found dead in bin store
- Man beaten with car tyre lever tells of horrific attack at hands of paranoid schizophrenic
- Thieves steal £65,000 of chocolate and fudge
- Suspended sentence for teaching assistant cleared of sex with pupil
- Schizophrenic man battered friend with car tyre lever in bloody rampage
- Two arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving following three car collision
- Women: think before you drink, say police
- Man arrested on suspicion of Claudia Lawrence murder is released from bail
- Six years for killer who stabbed friend in street fight
- Final member of multi-million pounds drug gang sentenced