TWO men a woman invaded a mosque and shouted racist abuse.
Police are trying to trace the trio who caused a disturbance at the Nasir Mosque on Brougham Terrace in Hartlepool at 7.45pm on Tuesday, February 5.
Imam Tahir Selby was leading prayers at the male side of the mosque and did not see the trouble, but was later informed.
He said: “They came in and went upstairs to the ladies’ side. Someone challenged them about why they were there.
"At first they said they wanted the toilet but then they started shouting abuse.
"I don’t know what they said exactly but it was chanting. I think it was the usual sort of thing people face. As far as I understand it was having a go at nationality and religion and they eventually left.
“We got them on CCTV. I’d say one was about 20 and the others were 23 or 24. They weren’t young kids.”
All are described as young, white and of slim build. Both the men were wearing black woolly hats and tracksuits. The woman had long, fair hair and cream coat.
The Nasir Mosque was built at a cost £500,000 and was the first purpose built mosque in Hartlepool.
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Claire McMahon on the non-emergency number 101.
More Hartlepool News
- Game of Thrones artist inspires North-East art and design students
- New licensing scheme to tackle anti-social behaviour
- North-East hospital trusts with 'excess deaths' are named
- Tributes to respected Hartlepool alderman
- Train company needs to 'get its act together' over response to delays
- Leading orchestra to perform at Yarm School
- Men bailed as attempted murder investigation continues
- Redcar drugs mule granny believes she could be shot by firing squad in weeks
- Mum, 35, dies during routine surgery from 'secret' blood clots - hours after giving birth to her third child, inquest told
- Troubled dad jailed after starting fire at petrol station
More Crime News
- Banned driver who flipped car after 100mph police chase with a boy in the car jailed for 12 months
- Why borstal is the way forward
- Ten charged over drugs and money laundering
- VIDEO: 'Stupid' man clings to car bonnet in his pants at 52mph for a dare
- Motorists who cause deaths by using mobile phones targeted by police in Durham and Cleveland
- Reward for information after masked men tie up elderly couple before robbing them
- Stockton man admits stalking a musician he met on dating website
- Burglar accused of setting fire to disabled woman's home to cover up crime is cleared of causing her death
- Violent and sexual crime rises down to "growing confidence in police", bosses say
- Police appeal for information to trace car used in Middlesbrough jewellers raid