TWO men a woman invaded a mosque and shouted racist abuse.
Police are trying to trace the trio who caused a disturbance at the Nasir Mosque on Brougham Terrace in Hartlepool at 7.45pm on Tuesday, February 5.
Imam Tahir Selby was leading prayers at the male side of the mosque and did not see the trouble, but was later informed.
He said: “They came in and went upstairs to the ladies’ side. Someone challenged them about why they were there.
"At first they said they wanted the toilet but then they started shouting abuse.
"I don’t know what they said exactly but it was chanting. I think it was the usual sort of thing people face. As far as I understand it was having a go at nationality and religion and they eventually left.
“We got them on CCTV. I’d say one was about 20 and the others were 23 or 24. They weren’t young kids.”
All are described as young, white and of slim build. Both the men were wearing black woolly hats and tracksuits. The woman had long, fair hair and cream coat.
The Nasir Mosque was built at a cost £500,000 and was the first purpose built mosque in Hartlepool.
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Claire McMahon on the non-emergency number 101.
More Hartlepool News
- What's On: Fireworks displays and bonfire nights in North-East and North Yorkshire
- National recognition for service helping keep people in own homes
- Appeal for Holocaust memories
- Prickly family taken to Hartlepool's hedgehog hospital
- MP calls for revival of town's hospital
- Regeneration scheme in Hartlepool worth £2.2m takes major step forward
- Trainee teaching assistant in Hartlepool claims to be have sent home from school for having tattoos
- Affordable homes getting off the ground
- Chance to have say on housing future
- Residents' community safety concerns aired at meeting
More Crime News
- Police boss Ronn Hogg welcomes drug misuse report
- Artist's impression issued of suspect in sex assault of 12-year-old girl
- Updated police plan for North Yorkshire outlines top priorities
- Search for attempted murder victim's car
- North Yorkshire Police hold a gun and ammunition amnesty
- Appeal as armed robber with painted face threatens cashier with knife
- Police issue warning over telephone fraudsters
- Criminals get lessons .... in crime
- Man hacked with a machete jumped from bathroom window to escape attackers, court hears
- Pensioner fighting for his life after violent assault