TWO men a woman invaded a mosque and shouted racist abuse.
Police are trying to trace the trio who caused a disturbance at the Nasir Mosque on Brougham Terrace in Hartlepool at 7.45pm on Tuesday, February 5.
Imam Tahir Selby was leading prayers at the male side of the mosque and did not see the trouble, but was later informed.
Loading article content
He said: “They came in and went upstairs to the ladies’ side. Someone challenged them about why they were there.
"At first they said they wanted the toilet but then they started shouting abuse.
"I don’t know what they said exactly but it was chanting. I think it was the usual sort of thing people face. As far as I understand it was having a go at nationality and religion and they eventually left.
“We got them on CCTV. I’d say one was about 20 and the others were 23 or 24. They weren’t young kids.”
All are described as young, white and of slim build. Both the men were wearing black woolly hats and tracksuits. The woman had long, fair hair and cream coat.
The Nasir Mosque was built at a cost £500,000 and was the first purpose built mosque in Hartlepool.
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Claire McMahon on the non-emergency number 101.
More Hartlepool News
- UPDATE: Two men arrested in connection with attack on dog with nail through head
- Poet takes to the stage in Black History Month
- Bomb disposal team called to Teesport dock after reports of suspicious package
- Middlesbrough landlord avoids jail over poisonous gas leak
- Ever wanted to be a firefighter? Durham and Darlington fire service launch new apprenticeships
- A19 closed northbound on Teesside after accident
- Thursday, October 20: Incidents on the region's roads
- Forced sale on Hartlepool area eyesore building is refused
- Power of patterns inspires art and design students
- Builders' merchant axing 600 jobs and closing 30 branches across trade brands Travis Perkins, Benchmarx, BSS and PTS
More Crime News
- Family watch in horror as armed gang wearing skeleton masks smash their way into their house and attack man
- Jodie Wilkinson stabbing: Man, 43, charged with murder
- Stolen horse box, tractor and farming equipment discovered in South Bank
- Breaking wind trial hears roofer also bared his bum to lad and showed his 'willy'
- Crime rises across the region according to report
- Arrest after suspicious death of 50-year-old man in Scarborough
- Dog buried alive with nail through head - MP's anger at "abhorrent act"
- State-of-the-art cars being stolen in 'two-in-one' burglaries across County Durham and Cleveland
- Modern slavery is not just an issue for cities, say North Yorkshire Police
- Two arrested and more than 18,000 suspected illicit cigarettes seized in dawn raids