TWO men a woman invaded a mosque and shouted racist abuse.
Police are trying to trace the trio who caused a disturbance at the Nasir Mosque on Brougham Terrace in Hartlepool at 7.45pm on Tuesday, February 5.
Imam Tahir Selby was leading prayers at the male side of the mosque and did not see the trouble, but was later informed.
Loading article content
He said: “They came in and went upstairs to the ladies’ side. Someone challenged them about why they were there.
"At first they said they wanted the toilet but then they started shouting abuse.
"I don’t know what they said exactly but it was chanting. I think it was the usual sort of thing people face. As far as I understand it was having a go at nationality and religion and they eventually left.
“We got them on CCTV. I’d say one was about 20 and the others were 23 or 24. They weren’t young kids.”
All are described as young, white and of slim build. Both the men were wearing black woolly hats and tracksuits. The woman had long, fair hair and cream coat.
The Nasir Mosque was built at a cost £500,000 and was the first purpose built mosque in Hartlepool.
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Claire McMahon on the non-emergency number 101.
More Hartlepool News
- Guide to events marking 100 years since the Battle of the Somme
- Report which justifies Hartlepool fertility clinic closure criticised by leading councillor
- Crowdfunding needed to kickstart Tees lecturer's feature film
- Guide to going to Kynren with opening night just days away
- Lifeguards perform CPR on man, 64, who suffered cardiac arrest while in swimming pool
- Suspected drug driver arrested in Hartlepool after police report knife discovery
- Business as usual for Pools after winding up petition is dismissed
- Mother of Benji Bolsenbroek questions cause of death during inquest
- Hartlepool couple tie the knot at Glastonbury
- More than £6,000 raised for hospice's vital work in one afternoon
More Crime News
- Benefit cheat mum caught out by child's "hello daddy" picture on fridge
- Man Tasered in Darlington after 'pulling something shiny out of pocket' and advancing on police
- Study by Teesside University professor shows crime and alcohol links in the criminal justice system
- Police officer fought for his life on A1 bridge as drunk man tried to tip them both off
- Police say drugs found after motorist loses control and hits two parked cars
- Paul Gascoigne denies racially-aggravated public order offence
- Man suffers serious head injury after asking youngsters to be quiet
- Durham Police set to take on 24-hour 'Tweetathon' to bolster online presence
- Suspected drink driver crashes BMW into parked cars in Darlington before fleeing scene
- High-viz cycle theft gang jailed after stealing £23k of bikes across North-East and North Yorkshire