TWO men a woman invaded a mosque and shouted racist abuse.
Police are trying to trace the trio who caused a disturbance at the Nasir Mosque on Brougham Terrace in Hartlepool at 7.45pm on Tuesday, February 5.
Imam Tahir Selby was leading prayers at the male side of the mosque and did not see the trouble, but was later informed.
He said: “They came in and went upstairs to the ladies’ side. Someone challenged them about why they were there.
"At first they said they wanted the toilet but then they started shouting abuse.
"I don’t know what they said exactly but it was chanting. I think it was the usual sort of thing people face. As far as I understand it was having a go at nationality and religion and they eventually left.
“We got them on CCTV. I’d say one was about 20 and the others were 23 or 24. They weren’t young kids.”
All are described as young, white and of slim build. Both the men were wearing black woolly hats and tracksuits. The woman had long, fair hair and cream coat.
The Nasir Mosque was built at a cost £500,000 and was the first purpose built mosque in Hartlepool.
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Claire McMahon on the non-emergency number 101.
More Hartlepool News
- Auerbach paintings heading for the North-East
- Regiment exercises right to parade through Hartlepool
- Councillor suspended from Conservative group on Stockton Council
- Health secretary asked to reinstate A&E
- Rubbish cleared, dog owners fined and allotments checked as Respect campaign enters second year
- Police appeal after elderly man hit by car
- Academy rated as 'outstanding'
- Specialist training to improve physical activity for disabled people
- Pensioner devastated after thieves steal £6,000 life savings while he tended allotment
- Knocked-down pensioner waits hour for hospital treatment
More Crime News
- Paedophile who tried to snatch schoolgirl off the street faces lengthy jail spell
- Cleveland Police arrest man, 21, under new drug driving laws
- Sunderland star Adam Johnson arrested over allegation of sexual activity with schoolgirl, 15
- Doctor cupped schoolgirl patient's breasts and played with her nipples, court told
- Woman hurt after being pushed to floor by robber during filling station raid
- 'Kick trolls off Facebook and Twitter for life' - Durham Chief Constable
- New laws to tackle drug drivers are coming into force
- Durham Police performance made easier to monitor
- Man, 60, released from hospital after being stabbed during attempted robbery
- Women threatened by knifeman