TWO men a woman invaded a mosque and shouted racist abuse.
Police are trying to trace the trio who caused a disturbance at the Nasir Mosque on Brougham Terrace in Hartlepool at 7.45pm on Tuesday, February 5.
Imam Tahir Selby was leading prayers at the male side of the mosque and did not see the trouble, but was later informed.
He said: “They came in and went upstairs to the ladies’ side. Someone challenged them about why they were there.
"At first they said they wanted the toilet but then they started shouting abuse.
"I don’t know what they said exactly but it was chanting. I think it was the usual sort of thing people face. As far as I understand it was having a go at nationality and religion and they eventually left.
“We got them on CCTV. I’d say one was about 20 and the others were 23 or 24. They weren’t young kids.”
All are described as young, white and of slim build. Both the men were wearing black woolly hats and tracksuits. The woman had long, fair hair and cream coat.
The Nasir Mosque was built at a cost £500,000 and was the first purpose built mosque in Hartlepool.
Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Claire McMahon on the non-emergency number 101.
More Hartlepool News
- Hartlepool fans pay tribute to road accident victim Rhys Hewitt
- Parent's tribute to "brave warrior" Ellie-Mae Morgan, 16, of Hartlepool who loses her fight against rare condition
- Youth unemployment halves in Hartlepool - the biggest drop in the North-East
- Plans unveiled for new £12m Cleveland Fire Brigade headquarters
- Investor targeting Teesside steel mills plays down job cuts fears
- Former Hartlepool United striker's 14-year-old son killed in collision with car
- Dog owners told to clean up their act
- Sky's Jeff Stelling pulls the plug on his Twitter account following row
- Family pays tribute to loving father who died followed assault
- Dismay as sale of Teesside steel operation by Tata considered
More Crime News
- Couple defrauded schools after failing to pay fees for child care at nurseries round the region
- Gun-toting robbers injure staff member in raid on North-East club
- Teenage girl raped in Tyneside churchyard
- Teenage girl raped in church grounds on North Tyneside
- Arrest made after sexual assault in Harrogate
- Police make second arrest after sex assault on girl, 12
- Man suffers ear injury after being bitten in attack in Newcastle
- Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson clocked speeding after filming in North Yorkshire
- Police to recruit an extra 60 officers
- Schools target child sexual exploitation