NORTH Yorkshire Police has confirmed that the body found on Hawnby Moor on Wednesday is that of missing woman, Barbara Colling.
Mrs Colling had not been seen since Monday, January 28 after setting out on a walk and was last seen in the area of the B1257 at Abbotts Hagg, near the Rievaulx turn off.
An intensive search, involving North Yorkshire Police, mountain rescue and members of the public was launched in an attempt to find her.
Her body was found by a member of the public at 10.45am yesterday.
"Although formal identification has taken place, the inquest is not expected to be opened and adjourned until early next week," a spokesman said.
More Ryedale News
- Wriggling worms found in Morrisons fish supper
- Bulging deli scoops Britain's Best Small Shop title
- Stately home gets its first female chaplain
- More than 30,000 snowdrops make an appearance
- Police plea for help to tackle wildlife persecution
- Cameras roll for new version of classic play
- Royal seal of approval for new home for jockeys
- HERITAGE: Artefacts found at the Anglo-Saxon burial ground in West Heslerton
- Mystery as TV chef James Martin quits North Yorkshire hotel business
- Mother jailed after giving in to pressure to take drugs into prison for killer son
More North York Moors News
- Townspeople brave the elements - and prepare to sleep on the streets
- Dragons' Den alumni at food festival
- Botton residents take petition to 10 Downing Street
- Will cash fall from the skies over the region today?
- Injured walker rescued from the North York Moors
- Row between charity and volunteers escalates as eviction notices served
- Monks' beer helps the miles slip by
- Cashing in on the Tour de Yorkshire
- MP warns of 'riot' over fracking changes
- Gardens revealed in stunning photographs