NORTH Yorkshire Police has confirmed that the body found on Hawnby Moor on Wednesday is that of missing woman, Barbara Colling.
Mrs Colling had not been seen since Monday, January 28 after setting out on a walk and was last seen in the area of the B1257 at Abbotts Hagg, near the Rievaulx turn off.
An intensive search, involving North Yorkshire Police, mountain rescue and members of the public was launched in an attempt to find her.
Her body was found by a member of the public at 10.45am yesterday.
"Although formal identification has taken place, the inquest is not expected to be opened and adjourned until early next week," a spokesman said.
More Ryedale News
- Plans for cycle route linking up Ryedale market towns to be discussed
- RAF personnel raise cash to build new play area for Lithuanian orphans
- Work of top cartoonist is showcased
- Record-breaking weekend for theme park
- Market scheme gets go-ahead
- Ethical bank supports almhouses project
- Decision imminent on major plans for town
- Businesses are offered iconic town hall
- Farmer's wife wins acclaim for first British port drink
- Flooding prevention scheme underway
More North York Moors News
- Campaigners fight to retain ethos of Botton Village - with or without the charity that currently runs it
- Think pink on the North York Moors
- Charity behind community for adults with learning disabilities denies attempting to prevent candlelit vigil
- Early start for mountain rescue team
- Police officer apologises for Twitter selfies near crash scene
- Pub supplies keep Lyke Wake Walkers going
- Walkers rescued after getting into difficulty
- New service for tourists
- Woman biker hurt in Moors smash
- Endangered species is given a helping hand - by salmon and trout