NORTH Yorkshire Police has confirmed that the body found on Hawnby Moor on Wednesday is that of missing woman, Barbara Colling.
Mrs Colling had not been seen since Monday, January 28 after setting out on a walk and was last seen in the area of the B1257 at Abbotts Hagg, near the Rievaulx turn off.
An intensive search, involving North Yorkshire Police, mountain rescue and members of the public was launched in an attempt to find her.
Her body was found by a member of the public at 10.45am yesterday.
"Although formal identification has taken place, the inquest is not expected to be opened and adjourned until early next week," a spokesman said.
More Ryedale News
- Businessman throws lifeline to charity
- Huge booze haul at teen party
- Malton Jobcentre reporting nearly 500 fewer people claiming benefits since 2010
- Maths expert solves dispute over hot air balloon and stampeding pigs
- Giant Marshmallow Man visits Brideshead Revisited stately home
- Plans for cycle route linking up Ryedale market towns to be discussed
- RAF personnel raise cash to build new play area for Lithuanian orphans
- Work of top cartoonist is showcased
- Record-breaking weekend for theme park
- Market scheme gets go-ahead
More North York Moors News
- Supporters of Action for Botton campaign meet to light Danby Beacon
- Animal campaign group makes unusual request to change North Yorkshire village name to support World Vegan Day
- Teacher and carer at Botton village threatened with eviction after alleged safeguarding issue he believes to be unfair
- Wartime re-enactment on the railway
- Man hurt in shooting accident
- Thousands of bulbs planted in just two days
- Activists to protest at US base
- Mother discovers she's being evicted from home of 14 years during supermarket chat
- Illegal off-roaders warned that action will be taken
- Dark days of the war brought to life