NORTH Yorkshire Police has confirmed that the body found on Hawnby Moor on Wednesday is that of missing woman, Barbara Colling.
Mrs Colling had not been seen since Monday, January 28 after setting out on a walk and was last seen in the area of the B1257 at Abbotts Hagg, near the Rievaulx turn off.
An intensive search, involving North Yorkshire Police, mountain rescue and members of the public was launched in an attempt to find her.
Her body was found by a member of the public at 10.45am yesterday.
"Although formal identification has taken place, the inquest is not expected to be opened and adjourned until early next week," a spokesman said.
More Ryedale News
- Rotarians take to the seas to raise cash for cancer charity
- The miracle of life - and a chance to go "aah"
- Entries now open for colourful 5km run
- Churches delighted at roof repairs windfall
- Support for carers who have been hit by cuts
- Sticking her neck out - new arrival to wow crowds at zoo
- Castle Howard to auction £10m treasures to fund home's upkeep
- Ryedale set to benefit from new Food Enterprise Zone status
- Food and farming industries boost - town designated Food Enterprise Zone
- Ancient coins sell for more than £110,000
More North York Moors News
- North Yorkshire tourism location proclaims itself Britain's cake capital
- Crews tackle North Yorkshire forest fire
- Volunteers help to keep railway on track
- Council warns of road delays ahead of Tour de Yorkshire race
- Top cycling race brings family fun
- High Court judge refuses to intervene in Botton row
- £14k raised to bring injured five-year-old boy back home from the Czech Republic
- Animal sanctuary battles to get injured bullock to walk again
- Naked pervert gun fanatic forces woman to flee hillside home
- Power plant go ahead