A TEENAGER has been remanded into youth custody accused of blinding a man in his right eye.
The 17-year-old allegedly hit the man, who is aged about 40, twice with the bar from the roof rack of a car.
The attack is said to have happened late on January 12 on Edward Terrace in New Kyo, Stanley, County Durham.
Peterlee magistrates sitting today (Thursday, February 14) heard the injured man suffered a shattered eye socket, fractured cheekbone and the loss of sight in his right eye.
A boy, from the Stanley area, has been charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon.
No pleas have been entered but Dave Malone, representing the youth indicated that they would be not guilty and the matter would be heard at trial.
An application for bail was refused and the case is back at the court on February 28 for committal to Durham Crown Court.
More Crime News
- Police arrest man after fresh dog attack, just weeks after his own arm was ripped off
- Force silent on racism inquiry
- Couple defrauded schools after failing to pay fees for child care at nurseries round the region
- Gun-toting robbers injure staff member in raid on North-East club
- Teenage girl raped in Tyneside churchyard
- Teenage girl raped in church grounds on North Tyneside
- Arrest made after sexual assault in Harrogate
- Police make second arrest after sex assault on girl, 12
- Man suffers ear injury after being bitten in attack in Newcastle
- Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson clocked speeding after filming in North Yorkshire