A WOMAN has been spared jail despite being caught with drugs four months after receiving a suspended sentence for dealing.
Gemma Brady threw amphetamine and cannabis out of a window during a raid by police at her home in Thorndyke Avenue, Grove Hill, Middlesbrough, on July 25 last year, prosecutor Emma Atkinson told Teesside Crown Court.
The 27-year-old had previously been sentenced in March to nine months jail, suspended for two years, after she was convicted of possessing crack cocaine and diamorphine with intent to supply.
Loading article content
Brady's barrister Paul Abrahams claimed she no longer took drugs and the best way to deal with her was to further work with her in the community, rather than immediately jailing her.
Judge Tony Briggs agreed, saying she would not receive support if imprisoned and then released.
He suspended a six month jail sentence on her for two years and said she would be supervised for a year.
Brady, who admitted possession of amphetamine and cannabis, was also ordered to do 40 hours unpaid work.
More Crime News
- Driver urged to hand himself in after alleged incident in country park
- Legal high ban will cause more harm than good, says Durham PCC fighting prohibition
- Indian takeaway owner Mohammed Zaman who "put profit before safety" given 6 years for manslaughter of peanut allergy customer
- WATCH: A19 horror crash which left mother permanently paralysed caught on camera
- Do you recognise these suspected shoplifters in Darlington, Durham, Bishop Auckland and Ferryhill?
- Peanut allergy sufferer Paul Wilson phoned mum minutes before tucking into fatal takeaway
- A trail of clues that led to curry killer
- Durham PCC launches restorative hub to help victims of crime find closure
- North-East residents still being targeted by scam cold calls
- UPDATED: Third man charged over murder of Lee Pettite
More Middlesbrough News
- Vulnerable man collapses and dies in police station while reporting burglary
- Vulnerable man collapses and died in Middlesbrough Police Station. Three men arrested
- Heroic officer stops bag snatch while out for a meal with his wife
- Family of missing Middlesbrough man informed after discovery of body on farmland in east Cleveland
- Major cash boost for famous Tees' museum
- Girl guides learn about emergencies with police and fire crews
- See Ghanaian football fan's delight at gift of Middlesbrough shirt from Eaglescliffe schoolboy
- Indecent image pervert's u-turn after judge tells him to think 'long and hard' before opting for trial
- Middlesbrough builder jailed over 'mystery' cash find
- Man who paid for house in cash jailed for money laundering