A WOMAN has been spared jail despite being caught with drugs four months after receiving a suspended sentence for dealing.
Gemma Brady threw amphetamine and cannabis out of a window during a raid by police at her home in Thorndyke Avenue, Grove Hill, Middlesbrough, on July 25 last year, prosecutor Emma Atkinson told Teesside Crown Court.
The 27-year-old had previously been sentenced in March to nine months jail, suspended for two years, after she was convicted of possessing crack cocaine and diamorphine with intent to supply.
Loading article content
Brady's barrister Paul Abrahams claimed she no longer took drugs and the best way to deal with her was to further work with her in the community, rather than immediately jailing her.
Judge Tony Briggs agreed, saying she would not receive support if imprisoned and then released.
He suspended a six month jail sentence on her for two years and said she would be supervised for a year.
Brady, who admitted possession of amphetamine and cannabis, was also ordered to do 40 hours unpaid work.
More Crime News
- Men who admitted having sex with 14-year-old boy warned prison is 'inevitable'
- Pictures: Have you been targeted by the Consett graffiti vandal? Police investigate 'unsightly damage' in town centre
- Woman prisoner with "extensive" mental health issues died nine days after cell ‘hanging’, inquest told
- Norma Bell murder trial: Son of pensioner murdered in her home told her he was worried about her safety just hours before attack
- Family of Second World War veteran killed in a hit and run 25 years ago make fresh appeal for information
- 'Lowest of the low' burglar who targeted vulnerable elderly victims is jailed for five years
- Need to ring 999, but it's not safe to talk? Here's what to do...
- Gadget will help police stay on patrol longer
- Woman 35, from Hurworth Place, appears at court over alleged Darlington wounding incident
- Couple to be sentenced for distraction theft from 82-year-old in Bishop Auckland
More Middlesbrough News
- Muggers 'caused victim to have fatal heart attack at police station'
- Suicidal sex offender who fled to Africa jailed after his return home to Teesside
- Cleveland Police agrees to £185,000 payout over claims of racial discrimination and victimisation
- North-East youth lodgings scheme seeks homeowners with room to spare
- Museum is hosting photo exhibition
- Bar Zero launch: Teesside's first dry bar promises a good night out without the hangover
- All lanes of A66 westbound between Stockton and Darlington reopened after earlier accident
- Watch: Hero's welcome for World Darts Champion as he dedicates title to 'the whole of Teesside'
- Teesside councillor's social media post reported to police
- High value haul of skin care products and hand sanitisers stolen in burglary