THREE people were taken to hospital following a head-on collision which resulted in the closure of a main road for three hours.
The accident happened on the A67 between the Teesdale villages of Gainford and Winston at about 7.30am today (Tuesday, February 12).
It involved a Jeep carrying two people who were heading for work at the Glaxo plant, in Barnard Castle, and a Vauxhall Corsa being driven towards Darlington by a student.
Loading article content
The 19-year-old student, from Darlington, suffered a broken ankle, a broken collarbone, a foot injury and numerous cuts and bruises. He was taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital where he is undergoing treatment.
The driver of the Jeep, a 53-year-old man, suffered a broken right leg and is also being treated at Darlington Memorial Hospital along with his passenger, a 52-year-old man who has a fractured thumb.
The road was reopened at about 11am.
Sergeant Simon Rogers, of Barnard Castle Police, said a number of other drivers stopped at the scene to help prior to the arrival of the emergency services.
“The police would like to thank all the motorists who stopped to assist at the scene and wish the occupants of the vehicles a speedy recovery,” he said.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision, which happened about half a mile west of Gainford and resulted in both vehicles sustaining extensive damage and debris from the crash being strewn over a large area.
Anyone who saw the crash should contact PC Andrew Wells or PC Stephen Brant via the 101 non-emergency number.
More Barnard Castle & Teesdale News
- Woman airlifted to hospital after two vehicle crash on A688 at Barford Corner, near Barnard Castle
- Bolam church flourishes thanks to parishioners’ efforts
- Barnard Castle antiques expert to star in new BBC show
- Pupils pick Bowes carnival queen
- Staindrop pupils don wacky wigs for classmate and brain tumour survivor Leah
- Man's body found in Barnard Castle
- Barnard Castle petrol station evacuated following gas leak
- Dancers celebrate elephant god ahead of Barnard Castle museum exhibition
- Man suffers suspected broken arm following incident in Barnard Castle supermarket car park
- Take on the #KeepitupforEngland challenge and show your support for our heroes
More Traffic & Transport News
- North-East green transport set to receive £1m Government boost
- Unique collaboration provides fun day out for dementia sufferers
- No big deal says Virgin after train company is accused of moving to a "union-busting war footing"
- Tunnel toll rise from Sunday
- Blow to steam fans as Flying Scotsman's Borders trip cancelled by Network Rail
- New rail services from London to Newcastle and Middlesbrough agreed
- Were you one of the 400 drivers caught speeding across County Durham and Cleveland in week-long crackdown?
- Job cut fears over ticket office changes on East Coast Main Line
- Council investigating temporary structure in place of Deerness Bridge
- Will your journey be stress free? Find out where the roadworks are in your area