THREE people were taken to hospital following a head-on collision which resulted in the closure of a main road for three hours.
The accident happened on the A67 between the Teesdale villages of Gainford and Winston at about 7.30am today (Tuesday, February 12).
It involved a Jeep carrying two people who were heading for work at the Glaxo plant, in Barnard Castle, and a Vauxhall Corsa being driven towards Darlington by a student.
Loading article content
The 19-year-old student, from Darlington, suffered a broken ankle, a broken collarbone, a foot injury and numerous cuts and bruises. He was taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital where he is undergoing treatment.
The driver of the Jeep, a 53-year-old man, suffered a broken right leg and is also being treated at Darlington Memorial Hospital along with his passenger, a 52-year-old man who has a fractured thumb.
The road was reopened at about 11am.
Sergeant Simon Rogers, of Barnard Castle Police, said a number of other drivers stopped at the scene to help prior to the arrival of the emergency services.
“The police would like to thank all the motorists who stopped to assist at the scene and wish the occupants of the vehicles a speedy recovery,” he said.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision, which happened about half a mile west of Gainford and resulted in both vehicles sustaining extensive damage and debris from the crash being strewn over a large area.
Anyone who saw the crash should contact PC Andrew Wells or PC Stephen Brant via the 101 non-emergency number.
More Barnard Castle & Teesdale News
- Relive the siege of Barnard Castle
- Wartime spirit takes over Barnard Castle
- Teesdale businessman and Scout leader selling up Barnard Castle chip shop
- How the North-East and North Yorkshire voted in the EU referendum
- Farage declares June 23 'our independence day' after Leave victory
- Live: Britain to leave the EU after historic vote - what now?
- David Cameron resigns after Brexit defeat
- Service to honour RAF heroes
- Barnard Castle RUFC plans girls and women's teams
- Tight squeeze as fire crews complete tricky manoeuvre to battle tyre blaze in Staindrop
More Traffic & Transport News
- Stretch of A19 to be closed overnight for a week
- Major disruption on A688 in County Durham after lorry strikes electrical cables
- Fire on train near Darlington causes rail delays
- Former Royal Navy captain takes up Northern Rail role
- Do you recognise these trainspotters putting lives at risk trying to get a closer view of the Flying Scotsman?
- £2.34m investment in green transport to be rolled out across Durham
- North-East green transport set to receive £1m Government boost
- Unique collaboration provides fun day out for dementia sufferers
- No big deal says Virgin after train company is accused of moving to a "union-busting war footing"
- Tunnel toll rise from Sunday