THREE people were taken to hospital following a head-on collision which resulted in the closure of a main road for three hours.
The accident happened on the A67 between the Teesdale villages of Gainford and Winston at about 7.30am today (Tuesday, February 12).
It involved a Jeep carrying two people who were heading for work at the Glaxo plant, in Barnard Castle, and a Vauxhall Corsa being driven towards Darlington by a student.
The 19-year-old student, from Darlington, suffered a broken ankle, a broken collarbone, a foot injury and numerous cuts and bruises. He was taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital where he is undergoing treatment.
The driver of the Jeep, a 53-year-old man, suffered a broken right leg and is also being treated at Darlington Memorial Hospital along with his passenger, a 52-year-old man who has a fractured thumb.
The road was reopened at about 11am.
Sergeant Simon Rogers, of Barnard Castle Police, said a number of other drivers stopped at the scene to help prior to the arrival of the emergency services.
“The police would like to thank all the motorists who stopped to assist at the scene and wish the occupants of the vehicles a speedy recovery,” he said.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision, which happened about half a mile west of Gainford and resulted in both vehicles sustaining extensive damage and debris from the crash being strewn over a large area.
Anyone who saw the crash should contact PC Andrew Wells or PC Stephen Brant via the 101 non-emergency number.
More Barnard Castle & Teesdale News
- Concerns over future of historic North-East sites
- Police warnings after daylight burglaries in Barnard Castle
- New vicars make church history
- Pupils elect first head boy and girl
- Police warning after daylight burglaries in Barnard Castle
- Woman admits 12 charges of assault at Barnard Castle hospital
- Voters called to polls to elect new Evenwood ward councillor
- Community walk plans stalled amid dog fouling fears
- Building gifted to Barnard Castle community remains empty after county council rejects community hub plan
- Tree group celebrates 10th anniversary
More Traffic & Transport News
- Road safety warning as clocks go back
- Airbag issues leads to Nissan Micra recalls
- Family thanks public for helping after woman hit by bus
- Police probe as rally sabotage leads to 19 cars crashing off the course
- Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson clocked speeding after filming in North Yorkshire
- Claims that North-East rail fares are cheaper than the South is a "myth", says a passenger group
- Labour's plan to challenge controversial re-privatisation of the East Coast derailed
- Wheels in motion for launch of Darlington park and ride
- Council admits error over disabled parking signs - and refunds motorists
- Talks to tackle 'Wild West' taxi chaos