Three taken to hospital after head-on collision on A67 between Gainford and Barnard Castle (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
Three taken to hospital after head-on collision on A67 between Gainford and Barnard Castle
THREE people were taken to hospital following a head-on collision which resulted in the closure of a main road for three hours.
The accident happened on the A67 between the Teesdale villages of Gainford and Winston at about 7.30am today (Tuesday, February 12).
It involved a Jeep carrying two people who were heading for work at the Glaxo plant, in Barnard Castle, and a Vauxhall Corsa being driven towards Darlington by a student.
The 19-year-old student, from Darlington, suffered a broken ankle, a broken collarbone, a foot injury and numerous cuts and bruises. He was taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital where he is undergoing treatment.
The driver of the Jeep, a 53-year-old man, suffered a broken right leg and is also being treated at Darlington Memorial Hospital along with his passenger, a 52-year-old man who has a fractured thumb.
The road was reopened at about 11am.
Sergeant Simon Rogers, of Barnard Castle Police, said a number of other drivers stopped at the scene to help prior to the arrival of the emergency services.
“The police would like to thank all the motorists who stopped to assist at the scene and wish the occupants of the vehicles a speedy recovery,” he said.
Police are appealing for witnesses to the collision, which happened about half a mile west of Gainford and resulted in both vehicles sustaining extensive damage and debris from the crash being strewn over a large area.
Anyone who saw the crash should contact PC Andrew Wells or PC Stephen Brant via the 101 non-emergency number.
More Barnard Castle & Teesdale News
- Families pay tribute to the men who died in car crash last week
- Driver escapes driving ban - despite injured passenger's plea - after causing smash
- Smoking ban for play areas considered
- Motorist blamed ex-girlfriend's death for drink-driving
- County Durham council tenants vote for homes transfer
- Friends and family of two young men killed in County Durham road accident continue to pay tributes at crash scene
- Rural pursuits take centre stage at Hamsterley fundraiser
- Visitors had knockout time
- Roadside shrine to two friends after car hits tree and bursts into flames
- Nice sets of wheels
More Traffic & Transport News
- Shortlist of firms bidding to run region's rail services branded as "same old greedy companies"
- North-East "being ignored" in new train plans, says MP
- Grand Central 'most trustworthy' says survey
- Fire engulfs prison van on A19 - one lane closed
- Charter calls for Government to tackle North-South rail divide
- East Coast success means line should not be re-privatised, says union
- Police bid to save lives by targeting North-East railway trespass hot-spots
- Mobile speed camera locations this week in North Yorkshire (July 30 - August 5)
- Protests over rail franchise consultation
- Highways Agency issues A19 closure warning
Comments are closed on this article.