Conservative MP criticises Labour council for turning down Ingleby Barwick free school plan (From The Northern Echo)
For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
James Wharton hits out as councillors reject application
A CONSERVATIVE MP has criticised a Labour-led council for preventing “a multi-million pound investment that would have brought us a school.”
James Wharton, MP for Stockton South, criticised Stockton Borough Council’s decision to turn down a planning application for a free school in Ingleby Barwick, part of his constituency.
Councillors rejected the plan for a 750-place secondary school and 150-place sixth form in conjunction with 350 new homes because it was on green wedge land - green fields not earmarked for development - and there was not enough social housing included in the scheme.
One Conservative councillor voted against during Tuesday’s meeting and two others abstained.
Mr Wharton, who has campaigned for a new school for Ingleby Barwick, said: “I would like to think there would be no party politics in planning recommendations though, on this occasion, it does seem very strange that officers would turn down a multi-million pound investment that would have brought us a much-needed new school.”
Responding to the allegations, Alex Cunningham, Labour MP for Stockton North who sits on the Parliamentary Education Committee, said he supported free schools in places where there was a shortage of school places, but added: “There can be a case for new schools, free or otherwise, but they should be built in areas of genuine need.”
More Stockton Borough Council News
- Social workers jailed for sexually abusing vulnerable boys at North-East residential homes
- Police warning over PIN con
- New home needed for Cleveland Police dog Jet
- Two men arrested after late night stab attack
- 'I do not deliberately expose myself' - former teacher on trial denies sex offences
- Gang beat up man in street
- Punch in the face leaves man with fractured cheekbone
- Police release images of man wanted in connection with Stanley bank raid
- Mother and sex offender son deny perverting course of justice
- Men 'celebrated' after kicking victim in head, court told
Comments are closed on this article.