For details on how to contact our editorial and commercial departments, click here
The pancake race
2:31pm Tuesday 21st February 2012 in Wendy's Slimming Blog
Hi everyone! I hope you've all had a great week with lots of fantastic losses. Some of my friends have had some great successes with one friend now having lost 9lb, another approaching 2.5st, a friend at class fast approaching her target weight and of course my husband who has now lost 5st 4.5lbs.
I can't believe how different he looks. I've had another great week and lost another 2lb taking my total so far to 5st 11.5lb. I've only got to get another 2.5lb to teach 6st. I still can't believe I've got this far in such a short space of time. I've been asked to be a God Mother to my dear friend's two children in March. I intend to take my vows as God Mother seriously and that means being healthy and a great role model to them.
We sorted though our wardrobe this last week and I've actually managed to get into clothes I haven't worn for well over a year. It just makes me feel so good and inspires me to keep going. When sorting out my clothes, I realised that almost everything I own is black.
I've very rarely bought anything with any colour because, black is said to be slimming and it also helps you blend into the shadows. I hoped it would take the lbs off me and also make me disappear. What on earth was I thinking?
How can someone who's 32st hide in the background or blend in? It's like saying, "Can you spot the Elephant in a room of rabbits!" Sticking out like a sore thumb springs to mind. I must have been living on a different planet!
I've always said I would love to have a little black dress that I could wear with killer heels. I've never had anything special like that and to be honest, I've always avoided going to special occasions wherever possible as I always look like a sack of spuds wearing a dress by, "Rent A Tent".
I felt I didn't deserve to be there and I was letting let people down, not to mention embarrassing the ones I was with because I looked so awful. Now the weight is coming off, I can start to visualise myself being able to go to special occasions.
People might actually look at me because I look beautiful rather than wondering if I was the marquee for the event. I will get my little black dress, and I'm also going to get one in a really bright, bold colour too that makes me stand out.
I'm also going to get something with colour for the Christening. It's only 5 weeks away. I could lose at least another 7lb by then. I will add a picture of myself and my husband taken at the Christening so you can see me wearing colour.
Pancake Day If you're anything like me, pancake day is a tradition in our household. It can't pass without us having some. My husband likes orange on his but I like oxo on mine. Most people think I'm strange but don't knock it until you try it.
After all, it's really yorkshire pudding mix and you do have gravy with them. I found a great Slimming World recipe which I think is definitely worth trying. It also gives you plenty of options for different toppings whether you like sweet or savoury.
Let me know which is your favourite? I'm sure there must be someone else out there who likes oxo too.
Healthy Pancakes – the traditional way (makes 8 pancakes)
57g plain flour
2 medium eggs
142g/5oz fat free fromage frais
145ml/¼pt skimmed milk
1. Sift the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Add the eggs and fat free fromage frais and whisk until smooth.
3. Pour in the milk and whisk again to form a batter. Stand for 30 minutes, then cook one at a time in a non-stick pan lightly sprayed with Fry Light.
1. The classic: There are dozens of ways to serve a pancake but nothing beats a simple shake of sweetener and squeeze of lemon juice for a totally Free topping!
2. The Freebies: Keep it simple, fresh and Free by adding your favourite chopped fruits – strawberries, bananas and fresh berries work well, especially when they’re smothered in vanilla Muller light.
3. The winter warmer: For this tasty filling, peel, quarter and core an apple and slice thickly. Put the pieces in a pan with a splash of water, a dash of lemon juice and artificial sweetener to taste. Cover and cook gently for about 10 minutes, or until the apples soften. Stir in ¼tsp cinnamon and ¼tsp nutmeg for a spicy finish.
4. The Dinner Party: Blow your guests away with your creativity and serve up yummy cheesy spinach pancakes as a starter. They’re simple to whip up and they’re suitable for vegetarians. Fry an onion and a crushed clove of garlic for 2-3 minutes in a pan with Fry Light. Add baby spinach and cook and cover for 3 to 4 minutes or until the leaves have wilted. Transfer to a sieve and squeeze out excess liquid. Return to the pan and beat in a tub of quark and grated nutmeg. Fill your pre-made pancakes with filling, roll up and place in shallow ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with 30g Parmesan and bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden and crisp.
5. The meaty one: This tasty pancake pie is a perfect main course for meat eaters and is great served with salad. Heat Fry Light in a pan and add in onion and extra lean minced beef, carrots, tomato puree, canned tomatoes, garlic, ¼pt stock made from Bovril, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes. Use a non-stick deep ovenproof dish (a little larger than your pancakes) and layer pancakes between the meat mix, finishing with the meat mix. Top with fat free fromage frais and sprinkle over a little grated cheese. Place in the oven for 20 minutes until brown.
6. The Seafood Special: If you’re fanatical about fish, this one’s for you! Succulent prawns are a sure fire way to spice up your pancakes! To fill each pancake simply coat the peeled prawns in 1 level tbsp salsa. Add strips of peppers and onions for a fajita style pancake then wrap and enjoy.
Hopefully you can all still have a great pancake day without piling on the lbs. Why not turn it into a fun event and have a pancake race with your family. It's a great way to add a bit of exercise into your week too.
Keep your comments coming and I'll see you lighter next week, Love Wendy xxx