Newton Aycliffe manager Deano Browne says that his team have proved people wrong after they stunned title chasing Hebburn 3-1 on Saturday.

Aycliffe caught the South Tynesiders cold with two first half goals on their way to a 3-1 win, with recent signing Vinny Gash leading the way.

“It was nice to prove people wrong, because I don’t think many people expected us to get something against a team near the top of the table,” he said.

“I told the players to be confident going into the game, and not to give Hebburn any respect – and they never really hurt us.

“The win has been coming, the players managed to break the shackles on them. Until Saturday, we hadn’t been able to put the ball in the back of the net.”

New signing Vinny Gash raced through and put Aycliffe into the lead after 10 minutes, and seven minutes later Shaun Hudson made it 2-0 from a Gash pass.

Aycliffe stayed in control in the second half, and Matty Pennal got away and scored the third with ten minutes left. Hebburn pulled a late goal back through Graeme Armstrong.

Bishop Auckland won their local derby against Shildon by a single goal to put them fourth in the table.

Shildon had the edge on chances in the first half, but it was Bishops who took the lead just on half time when Chris Winn was brought down by Jamie Harwood, and Callum Patton scored from the spot.

In the second half, Shildon had some good chances, but Bishops keeper Nick Liversedge saved well from Jack Blackford, Danny Earl and Nathan Steel, while Andy Johnson missed a good chance for Bishops.

Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said; “We’re delighted to get back to winning ways, it was a hard working result against a strong physical Shildon. Nick Liversedge made a couple of great saves in the second half to keep us in front but we deserved the win for sure.”

Shildon manager Danny Moore said; “We created more chances today than in previous weeks but couldn't take any. We deserved at least a point.”

West Auckland, who gave debuts to striker Adam Burnicle and defender Chris Hunter, collected a good point with ten men at Ashington.

They had winger Arran Wearmouth red carded for a late challenge on the half hour, then Ashington took the lead just on half time through a Zak Atkinson penalty. But West showed their character and equalised when Amar Purewal headed in an Adam Mitchell corner.

Ashington regained the lead through Atkinson with ten minutes left, but Alex Francis fired a second equaliser on 82 minutes.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “It was an excellent performance, The lads showed real character when just about everything was going against them.”

In the other first division matches, the top two, Consett and Sunderland RCA, drew 2-2 at Belle View.

New signing Sam Webster scored twice in Guisborough’s 4-0 home win over Seaham Red Star, while Scott McCarthy scored a hat trick for Newcastle Benfield in their 4-1 home win over Penrith.

Ryhope CW climbed out of the bottom five with a 3-1 home win over Whickham.

In the second division, Tow Law fought back from 3-1 down with ten men to draw 3-3 at the morning’s leaders Thornaby.

Lawyers led through Callum Hassan, but Thornaby hit back to lead through Paul Roddam and Kyran Clark (2). Hassan pulled one back on 70 minutes and was sent off four minutes later. But Scott Lowery levelled with two minutes left.

Tow Law manager Steve Murray said; “It was an excellent performance. At 1-3 behind and then down to 10 we showed great character to get a point that we absolutely deserved.”

Crook Town lost 3-0 at home to the new league leaders Billingham Town, for whom Joe Hillerby, Craig Hutchinson and Ashley Lavan scored to keep their unbeaten record in the league with twelve games gone.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “I don't think we played as well as we could have done. Credit to Billingham Town, they deserved the points without being flattering. We need to start learning from our mistakes otherwise we aren't going to improve. We're desperate for a bit of luck to go our way. We're hoping to bring another couple of faces in this week which should improve us.”

Chester-le-Street stay second after they picked up a good point at Easington. Liam Cooke gave Easington the lead, before Craig Marron and Cameron Nichol put Chester 2-1 up. Liam Adamson salvaged a point for Easington.

Chester-le-Street manager Colin Wake said; “It was a good draw against a good side. We played well and coped with the high winds well. We had to dig deep carrying a lot of injuries which forced three substitutions and we feel a point was well deserved.”

Northallerton are up to fifth after a goal by Aaron Ramsbottom gave them the points at Willington, the second time they have beaten them this season.

Northallerton manager Darren Trotter said; “It was a terrific result. The discipline shown was excellent.  One goal turned out to be enough, but it was the hard work team ethic that was pleasing.

“Willington are a very good side so we needed a performance like that to gain the points.”

Willington manager Rob Lee said; “It was a frustrating afternoon. We played a very good Northallerton team who closed us down and stopped us playing. One goal won the game, at times we cancelled each other out.”

Willington striker Mattie Moffat was sent off six minutes from the end.

Esh Winning lost 2-1 at home to newcomers Redcar Athletic, to leave them two points above the bottom two. McCorie Carmichael and Adam Preston scored for Redcar before Joe Mole replied.

Esh Winning manager Tony Boakes said; “Obviously adding players to the squad means they take time to settle down so although we lost there were loads of positives. Redcar deserved the three points as once again we had several missed chances late on in the game to get points.”

Brandon are off the bottom thanks to a 1-1 home draw with Jarrow, Jack Carr scoring the opening goal of the game for them.

Durham City had a bad day, beaten 3-1 by Washington which means that they drop to bottom place instead of Brandon. Joe Bates scored their goal when Washington were already 3-0 up.

Manager Wayne Gredziak said; “I thought we matched Washington and felt a little disappointed that a first minute penalty wasn’t given to us, but when you are down near the bottom things don’t go your way. On the stroke of half time a lucky goal put paid to all the team’s hard work. Confidence was a major factor in the second half.”

In the other second division games, Ben Pollock scored the only goal of the game for Billingham Synthonia at Ryton, while Bedlington drew 2-2 at home to Birtley.