Bishop Auckland’s Wembley dreams are still intact in the Buildbase FA Vase – but only just after going to extra time against West Allotment.

After hitting peak for in the league the previous week when they thumped Seaham, Bishops made hard work of disposing of Allotment, from a division below them in the Northern League.

Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said; “The banana was half eaten today. We were terrible for ninety minutes. Sometimes three or four players have off days, on Saturday it was nine or ten. We had brief good spells and the introduction of Chris Winn made the difference. West were, as expected, a tough opponent.”

Bishops hit the bar through Kieran Galbraith early on, and then took the lead on 11 minutes through a Callum Patton penalty after Kyle Fryatt was fouled. Fryatt nearly added a quick second, but his shot was cleared off the line.

But Allotment got back into the game with a long range strike by Dean Walker four minutes after half time, and after that the game could have gone either way.

Chris Winn, who had come on as sub near the end of the 90 minutes took command in extra time. He fired in off the underside of the bar to put Bishops in front in the second period, and then cleverly turned home a Fryatt cross while lying on the ground for the third.

Brandon won their first game of any sort this season when they beat Washington 3-2 at the Welfare Ground to join Bishops in the next round.

Brandon were ahead twice in normal time through Joe Joyce and Niall Fingleton, but Washington pegged them back through Kris Goss and David Smith.

But Brandon squeezed through thanks to a goal by the appropriately-named Brandon Turnbull in extra time.

Crook Town’s hopes of a good run were dashed when they were beaten 6-2 at Ashington, but they gave Ashington a fright in the first half.

Nathan Stephenson put them in the lead early on, and after Ashington went 2-1 up, Andrew Lonsdale pulled them level before half time. But Ashington powered away in the second half.

Northallerton lost 2-1 at home to Steeton from the North West Counties League.

The visitors scored twice in the space of five minutes in the first half, and even though Richie Walker replied before half time, Steeton held on until the end.

Tow Law had a bad day at Nelson, going down 5-2, conceding all the goals in the first half. To make matters worse, they also had Matthew Fisher sent off. Lewis Martin and Callum Oldfield scored for them in the second half.

Manager Steve Murray said; “It was a dreadful first half, I can’t remember such a poor half. It was game over, down to ten men and only pride to play for by half time.”

In the other games, Redcar Athletic’s first ever Vase game saw them lost 2-0 at Bedlington.

One of the fancied ENL clubs, Consett, were beaten 1-0 at Bridlington Town from the Northern Counties East League.

Whickham knocked out four times winner Whitley Bay by 2-1 at the Glebe with an extra time winner, but another former winner, Dunston UTS, are through after winning 2-0 at Ryhope CW.

Seaham Red Star had a good 2-0 away win at Daisy Hill, while Guisborough scored three times in the first 20 minutes to set up a 4-2 home win over Barnoldswick. Nathan Steel scored a hat trick.

Billingham Town beat fellow ENL Second Division side Birtley 3-1 at Bedford Terrace, while Ryton lost 2-1 at home to Garforth.

The draw for the first round is made at lunchtime on Monday, with Shildon and Sunderland RCA now included.