Shildon are through to the semi finals of the Durham Challenge Cup after beating Spennymoor Town 3-2 at Dean Street last night.

Second string Moors took the lead after 14 minutes when Brad Fewster fired past Shildon keeper Nick Liversedge from a Junior Mondal cross, but the Railwaymen levelled when Moors keeper Shane Bland completely missed his kick when full back Cameron Teague passed the ball back to him, and the ball ran into the net.

There were chances at both ends before former Moors midfielder Anthony Peacock beat Bland from a tight angle on 48 minutes to make it 2-1, and should have been 3-1 when Adam Burnicle rounded Bland, but somehow missed an open goal.

Youngster Ciaran Jackson levelled for Moors from a James Hughes cross, and then Billy Greulich-Smith missed the target for Shildon after he burst through.

But Burnicle made up for his earlier miss by scoring the winner for Shildon on 75 minutes, when he broke through the Moors defence and fired past Bland.

In the North Riding Senior Cup, Northallerton were within minutes of going into the semi finals against Thornaby, but lost on penalties. They took a first half lead through Nicky Martin, but Michael James levelled with just a minute left In the second division of the Northern League, Brandon scored twice in the last eight minutes through Niall Fingleton to snatch a point at Esh Winning, for whom Kai Hewitson was on target twice.

Billingham Synthonia have appointed Jamie Tunstall as their new manager following the resignation of Conrad Hillerby. Synners are currently bottom of the table, with just one win in the league all season.

A club statement said; “Conrad decided that the time was right to step down after three years in charge. The players were told on Tuesday night.

“The club would like to thank Conrad for the dedication and hard work he has put in during what has been a difficult period.”

Tunstall has plenty of playing experience in the league, and came back to Synners as coach from Crook Town in the summer.