Shildon were hoping to celebrate the opening of their new stand with a victory against Dunston on Saturday – but instead they slipped to a 4-1 defeat.

The new structure, which cost over £100,000 to build, accommodates 200 seats, is in the club colours of red and white and meets the promotion requirements for the EvoStik League.

Chairman David Dent said; “I think the new stand is a great facility for the club.

“It sends a clear statement that this club is moving forward both on and off the pitch. We are nearly there in terms of securing a headline sponsor, Identity Consult, who have kindly agreed to sponsor the stand for three years.

“Unfortunately our old stand is no longer available for spectators to use on match days. We secured grant aid from the Football Foundation on the basis that the existing stand was a health and safety risk. We have therefore taken the decision to mothball the stand.

“This is just the start of our journey to be the best we can. I have commissioned architects to develop plans for our new community clubhouse which represents a massive part of our strategy to be self-sufficient.”

The Railwaymen will need to improve if they are to win promotion though, as they conceded three times in the second half.

The visitors took the lead with a terrific strike by Josh Hawkes from 25 yards that flew over Shildon keeper Nick Liversedge into the top corner, but Shildon levelled within a minute with a neat lob by player-manager Danny Moore.

But early in the second half Shildon defender Dan Groves gave away a needless penalty that Mark Fitzpatrick converted, then Dale Burrell headed a third from a right wing cross.

Hawkes finished Shildon off with another effort near the end.

“We weren’t clinical enough in both boxes,” said Moore. “I thought we were on top in the first half but we didn’t make our chances count.

“The penalty killed us, and the momentum swung their way. As a team we’re doing fine, it’s just that individual errors are costing us. We won at their place earlier in the season when maybe they should have won, so I suppose it’s swings and roundabouts.

“We’re still in a great position in the league, especially with North Shields losing as well, and now we must knuckle down again and pick up four points from our next two matches.”

Bishop Auckland climbed nicely away from the relegation zone with a 4-1 home win over Jarrow Roofing at Heritage Park.

Roofing took the lead in the opening minutes when Olly Martin scored from the rebound after Dave palmer’s shot was blocked, but Bishops were level after 19 minutes when Andre Bennett hit the bar and Thomas McAloon scored from the rebound.

Bishops went in front on the hour with a great strike by Bennett, then Andy Johnson made it 3-1 when he wrong footed a defender, turned, and beat the keeper with a low shot.

It was all over in the last minute when Johnson scored from close range.

Bishops manager Colin Myers said; “I thought we started very slowly and conceded a poor goal, but fair play to the lads because they took the game by the scruff of the neck.

“It was a great result, because it takes us up to 14th in the table, and on course for our aim of finishing in the top half of the table – and then we can start to plan for next season.”

In the second division, Tow Law are up to third after they won 4-2 on the 3G at West Allotment.

They took an early two goal lead with goals by Dean Thexton and Lewis Brown, then Thexton missed a penalty.

Allotment got back into the game with efforts by Elliott Mitchell and Colin McKenzie, but Lawyers recovered and took the points with goals by Scott Oldfield on the hour and Thexton in stoppage time.

Manager Steve Murray said; “It was a good display and a good result.”