Tow Law were furious about a lack of communication when their FA Vase second round tie at 1874 Northwich was postponed when they were en route to Cheshire on Saturday.

The Lawyers coach was forced to turn around in West Yorkshire when they received a call from their opponents saying that the tie was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, and instead they must now travel across country for the re-arranged game on Tuesday night.

Some of the Lawyers players had travelled over on the Friday night, and manager Steve Murray arrived independently early on Saturday morning.

Secretary Steve Moralee said; “We were very annoyed about the lack of communication. On Friday we were told that there was a small damp patch on the pitch, but they didn’t inspect the pitch until after we had set off. We were very surprised to hear that the game was off. Our manager was already in the area and popped into the ground, and he said the problem could easily have been resolved with a couple of bags of sand. The local referee who had inspected the pitch had already gone home.

“But Northwich wouldn’t change their minds and ask for a second opinion. We wanted to go back down this Saturday, but because we had already agreed on a Tuesday night replay if necessary, the FA told us that we must play at Northwich on Tuesday.

“We were annoyed, because other games in that area went ahead, and ours was the only Vase tie in the northern area postponed on Saturday.”

Shildon’s hopes of a good run were dashed when they were beaten 2-1 in extra time in their all Northern League tie at Marske.

The home side got off to a great start after just 4 minutes when Danny Earl scored from a corner, and that set the tone for a real blood and thunder game with chances going begging at both ends.

Shildon started the second half well, and got a penalty on 52 minutes when Jamie Harwood was brought down in the box by Marske midfielder Curtis Round, and Billy Greulich-Smith scored from the spot.

The game continued to swing from end to end, and in extra time Marske midfielder Craig Gott won it, with a powerful 20 yard shot into the bottom corner of the net. Marske had midfielder Chay Liddle dismissed for two yellows, and in the last minute Harwood had an effort cleared off the line.

West Auckland, the second favourites to win the competition on Saturday morning, beat Billingham Town 3-2.

Arran Wearmouth gave West the lead with a shot on the turn on 11 minutes, but after having two efforts cleared off the line, Town levelled on 39 minutes from close range through Brandon Kirkbride.

Nathan Fisher restored West’s lead when he ran clear and fired into the bottom corner, but Town levelled again through Jake Fenton after a mistake in the West defence.

But Ben Wood got the winner with ten minutes left when he played a 1-2 and sidefooted the ball past the Town keeper.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “It was a good performance. We fully deserved the win, and we’re in the hat now which is all that matters.”

Newcastle Benfield, North Shields, Stockton Town and Whitley Bay are also through, while Sunderland RCA have a midweek replay against Runcorn Linnets.

Competition favourites Morpeth were knocked out at Ashton Athletic, and Dunston were beaten at home by Worksop Town.