NORTHALLERTON put last week's disappointing defeat behind them with a deserved and sometimes entertaining 54-24 victory at home to North Ribblesdale in front of a bumper crowd.

The crowd was boosted by a pre-game dinner for ex captains and their special guests including over 100 ex players, and also the innovative ladies team from 2001 to 2004.

North took the lead after five minutes when Iain Swall picked up from the base of a scrum five yards out, and despite the best efforts of the Ribbs defence crashed over the try line. New Zealander Ashley Rio added the conversion.

Ribblesdale however, were straight back in the game, when confusion in the North defence gifted the visitors an easy converted try.

For the next twenty minutes neither side looked liked scoring, with most of the play being in the middle third of the park.

On the half hour mark Rio then put North in front with a simple penalty in front of the posts.

Just before half time North increased their lead thanks to a opportunistic Jonny Frank try in the corner. Half time 15-7.

North introduced prop Ed Meeks for the second half, which was his first game in two years following serious knee surgery.

The first ten minutes of the second half were spent with both teams exchanging penalties, two for North and one for Ribblesdale.

North then stepped up a gear, with Iain Swall being more prominent in the loose. After fifty five minutes a grubber kick through by Rio, was chased up by Matthew Marsay who touched the ball down for a try in the corner. Rio adding the conversion from a very difficult angle.

Soon after ageing workhorse Simon Manthorpe pirouetted out of a tackle to off load to Rio with the try line in sight. Rio was halted just short of the line but Franks was again on hand to collect the ball and his second try which was also converted by Rio.

Half way through the second half Alexander Metcalfe went on a jinking, mazy 25 yard run before releasing Marsay and then the supporting Swall who went over for another converted try to make the score 42-10.

Ten minutes later Johnny Baker was yellow carded for handling on the floor and from the resulting scramble, Ribbs managed to cross the line for a converted try.

Five minutes from time Swall completed his hat trick with another fine try, breaking through the visitors defence to score under the posts.

At the restart, Swall collected the high ball before charging off downfield for over 50 metres before a one handed offload to Metcalfe to score a unconverted try in the corner.

Ribbs had the last say of the game with another consolation try one minute from time.

Man of the match was awarded to Iain Swall despite Kiwi Ashley Rio’s fine kicking display of a successful 8/10 kicks.

Next week North have their final league game of the season away at Roundhegians with a 3pm kick off.

Northallerton seconds faced Moortown seconds at home and fell to a 54-23 defeat.

North showed great spirit and resilience against a team who play at a higher level and are also top of their league.

Among Norths point scorers were Gareth Norton, Callum Love, Adam Marsden and Ashley Wallace.

Next week North seconds are scheduled to play Hartlepool seconds at home with a 3pm kick off.

Finally, all at Northallerton RUFC are proud of young Sarah Walley of the Ladies team who represented the RAF Senior Ladies team at the Stoop, Twickenham in a 67-3 victory over the Royal Navy Ladies.