Kader FC 4-4 Bedale AFC

Bedale were without goal keeper Dean Hudson who missed his first game of the season due to a family bereavement. Wayne Thompson deputised in goal. Prior to kick off a minutes silence was held in memory of Dave Kane the BEADS secretary who had died earlier in the week. The game was played in very blustery conditions on the open pitches at the Outwood Academy. Bedale took the lead after 10’ when Michael Stevens played a one two with Ross Hodgson on the half way line and raced down the right wing. His low cross was cleared to Callum Fletcher 20 yards out. He fired a great shot past Adam Lewis in the Kader goal. Kader hit back and Thompson made a great save diving low to his right to gather a fierce shot. Kader equalised from a rather dubious awarded free kick. The free kick was headed back from the far post and Luke Smithyman headed past a static defence. A minute later James Smithyman rattled the Bedale bar with a 30 yard strike. Four minutes later Kader took the lead. Wayne Thompson cleared the ball straight to Ellis Holland in the centre circle who promptly hit a 40 yard shot back into the empty goal. Five minutes later Bedale were level David Cooke’s left wing corner was converted at close range by Hodgson. Hodgson then put Bedale in the lead with a fine individual goal. At half time Matt Goodwin replaced Thompson who had injured his finger making a save earlier in the game. Chris Hope replaced him in goal with Goodwin replacing Hope up front. Six minutes into the second half Kader drew level when Jonny Morris was adjudged to have handled the ball in the penalty area. Richard Mills converted the penalty. On 57’ Bedale went ahead when the impressive Stevens right wing cross was converted by Hodgson to complete his hat trick. On 68’ he had a great chance to take his tally to four when Matt Goodwin was fouled in the area. Hodgson stepped up to take the kick but dragged his shot wide. Two minutes later Kader were level when they broke away and Smithyman scored his second.

Bedale hit back when Stevens right wing cross was met at the near post by Goodwin who turned the ball towards goal but it was brilliantly saved by Lewis. Both teams pressed for the winner but the final score finished 4-4. Adam Lewis took the man of the match for Kader. Ross Hodgson taking it for Bedale. Bedale’s next game is away in the North Riding Saturday County Cup – R.2 to Wigginton Grasshoppers on Saturday November 10 kick-off 2pm.

Bedale AFC Reserves 5-2 Harlow Hill Reserves

In this Jan Sinker Memorial D.1 game Bedale Reserves hosted Harlow Hill Reserves in extremely difficult conditions. Bedale made the most of the conditions in the first half playing by far the better football. It wasn’t long before they took the lead with Sam Vernalls slotting home after some great play from the Bedale midfield. Not long after Vernalls scored another fine goal after good inter play between him and the busy Lee Sellers. A third for the unplayable Vernalls came courtesy of a great header. Within five minutes he scored his fourth from a long lofted ball which he headed over the keeper from the edge of the area. Bedales fifth came from an in swinging corner which the Harlow keeper dropped and Luke Oldfield was quickest to the loose ball to score. Half time 5-0.

Bedale soon realised why Harlow had found it so difficult in the first half and didn’t help themselves by trying to thread too many difficult balls through the Harlow defence. On 65’ Harlow Hill reduced the arrears when the Bedale defence stopped expecting an offside decision which didn’t materialise and the Harlow forward ran through and scored. They had another chance to reduce the arrears when Dave Proud was adjudged to have fouled an opponent in the area. The Harlow Hill centre forward stepped up only to see his shot superbly saved by the foot of Jordan Aspinall in the Bedale goal. With ten minutes to go Harlow scored a second but it was too little too late. A superb performance from man of the match Sam Vernalls puts Bedale top of the league. Bedale AFC Reserves next game is home to Beckwithshaw Saints Reserves in the league on Saturday November 10, kick-off 2pm.