GUISBOROUGH Town put up a valiant showing against Farsley Celtic at the KGV on Saturday but the two-rung gap in the Non-League ladder between the two sides was just a step too for the Priorymen. Farsley, who play in the EvoStik Premier League alongside Whitby Town, ultimately made their higher league status count against Guisborough but despite what looked like a one-sided final scoreline the Priorymen kept battling to the end.

Watched by a decent crowd of 277, a fairly even contest swung Farsley’s way in a four-minute period just before and just after half-time. First Farsley took the lead in the 42nd minute when a defensive mix-up allowed Nathan Turner to nip in and slide the ball home from the edge of the penalty area to make it 1-0 to Farsley. It was very tough on Guisborough who had created several good chances in the first half, with winger Steve Roberts very unlucky to see goal-bound shots blocked or deflected.

The second half had barely begun when Farsley doubled their lead when Nathan Turner got his second goal on 46 minutes as the ball fell to him and his powerful shot hit the back of the net for 2-0 to Farsley. Despite this setback, however, Guisborough continued to press forward and were unlucky yet again to see one shot blocked and another cleared off the Farsley line.

In the 83rd minute Farsley sealed the tie when Nathan Cartman set up substitute Luke Parkin to slot home for 3-0 to the Celts. And the Celts bagged a fourth goal in time added on when another sub, Isaac Baldwin slotted home from 12 yards out.

The summary of the play was possibly harsh on Guisborough but Guisborough’s adventure in this year’s FA Cup had ended but there have been some great memories along with way, principally through goalkeeper and team captain Jordan Nixon scoring that last-ditch equaliser against Newton Aycliffe. Nixon actually tried to emulate that tremendous feat in the dying minutes of the game against Farsley, coming up for a free kick but, alas, there was no fairy-tale ending for the Priorymen this time!

After the game Guisborough Town Manager Gary Forster commented, “We’re disappointing, looking back over the game I think that was actually a winnable tie for us. We got forward and created chances but maybe if we had had a bit more quality and composure in front of goal we would have got something out of the game.

“We felt it was a little bit harsh to go 1-0 down when there was some confusion at the back to allow them to score just before half-time. Then just after half-time they scored again which meant we had to force the issue but they have gone 3-0 up and then 4-0 so overall we’re disappointed at the final outcome,” added Gary.