Shildon manager Danny Moore admitted that league leaders Stockton Town were more clinical than them when the Railwaymen were beaten 2-0 in their top of the table clash at Dean Street on Saturday.

Shildon have dropped to third in the table and are now nine points off the top after this setback, and Moore said; “They had three shots at goal and scored twice, whereas we missed a penalty, a one-on-one, and hit the bar and the post.

“They were clinical, and we weren’t. I thought we deserved a draw on the balance of play, but I’ve got no complaints about the way we performed.

“We have some massive games coming up now against Hebburn and Consett that will decide whether we get promotion or not.”

The turning point in the game was when Stockton keeper Callum Roberts saved a penalty by Billy Greulich-Smith early in the second half, and a few minutes later Freddie Woodhouse opened the scoring. Former Boro striker Jonathan Franks scored the second with his first touch after coming on as sub.

Stockton Town manager Micky Dunwell said; “Our keeper’s penalty save changed the game.”

Newton Aycliffe won 4-0 at Sunderland RCA to put them eighth with games in hand on everyone above them. Recent signing Adam Burnicle scored twice, with Aaron Brown and Ethan Wood scoring the others.

Newton Aycliffe manager Colin Stromsoy said; “It was one of our best performances of the season. We totally dominated the game and especially satisfying to beat the inform team in the league who have scored an average of 4 goals a game in recent weeks at their place.

“We’re delighted that we kept a clean sheet which was a huge focus as in recent weeks we've been far too easy to score against. Scoring four of course too is very satisfying and we've also hit the woodwork twice and their keeper has pulled off a world class save to deny Marc Costello.”

West Auckland are up to seventh in the table after beating Thornaby 4-1 at the Wanted Stadium, although Thornaby were in the game at 1-1 at one point. Amar Purewal, Adam Mitchell, Craig Spooner and Anthony Bell scored their goals, with Ben Jackson replying.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “It was a good win, there were five great goals. The game was a lot closer than the scoreline would suggest, we had to work very hard for the points.”

Northallerton climbed off the bottom of the table with a 1-0 home win over Whitley Bay, Lee Brockbank scoring the goal midway through the second half.

Northallerton manager Darren Trotter said; “It was a great result for us, not only does it lift us off the bottom of the table but it’s a big confidence boost for all the hard work we put in lately. It’s been a real positive start to the year.

“There was not much between the two teams, however I did not think we would concede and the determination of the lads to get a result with the added quality that we have brought in, gave us the edge that has eluded us in previous games.”

Guisborough are now unbeaten in seven league games after they won 2-0 at Penrith with goals by Harry Thompson and Steve Roberts.

Manager Gary Forster said; “We were not at our best and we certainly won ugly, but our defence won us the game.”

Billingham Town lost to a last minute penalty at home to Newcastle Benfield, and dropped to eighth in the table.

In the other games, Consett beat Ashington 4-1 to stay in fourth, while Hebburn won 4-1 at Ryhope CW and climbed above Shildon into second. North Shields won 2-1 at Seaham Red Star and are now fifth.

In the second division, Crook Town needed a last minute equaliser to earn a point in a 2-2 draw at Easington, and have now dropped six points behind the promotion positions albeit with games in hand.

Josh home-Jackson and Jonathan Pearson put Easington 2-0 up, and Crook hit back with two by Christian Holliday, his second after Easington keeper Alex Lawrence was sent off.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “Our Initial reaction is that we have to be happy with a point after being two down at half time away from home. Easington are a good side and really dominated us first half and but for our keeper should have been out of sight. Some choice words and two changes at half time gave us a bit of a kick start and to be fair to the lads they dug in and really competed second half and were the better side. Playing the last 15 minutes against ten men you always want a bit more but we'll dust ourselves off and move to Tuesday where we face another tough test against Carlisle.”

Billingham Synthonia were just beaten 3-2 by league leaders West Allotment at Station Road, the visitors scoring the winner in the last minute after Synners led 2-1 with goals by Chris Dickinson and Mattie Wilson.

Synners manager Dave Dickson said; “For large spells of the game we were much the better team and created really good chances.”

Redcar remain second behind Allotment after three second half goals gave them victory over Chester-le-Street. Adam Preston scored on his return debut, with Kallum Hannah and Connor Smith scoring the others.

Chester-le-Street manager Colin Wake said; “I'm like a broken record. We missed two good chance in the first half with the wind then conceded two poor goals against the wind to give the game to Redcar. We are not learning that you have to concentrate for 90 minutes at this level of football. Overall, we are playing ok, so mistakes are hard to take.”

Redcar manager Steve Connolly said; “We were really pleased with our patience and control over the game in windy conditions.”

Tow Law won 3-1 at Washington, with goals by Kurtis Russell and Matty Moffat in the first half, with Jason White making the score 3-0 before Lewis McGeoch replied for third bottom Washington.

Tow Law manager Micky Vasey said; “It was a good game to watch, we dominated from start to finish and should have had a few more goals, but credit to Washington they never gave up and battled to the end.”

Brandon collected only their seventh point of the season when they drew 0-0 with Willington at the Welfare Ground.

Willington manager Ibby Hassan said; “A very frustrating day when all is said and done. We didn't create a great deal and in fairness to Brandon they dug in and got a deserved clean sheet. We knew that there was potential for a new manager bounce and we didn't adapt well enough. It's a case of two points dropped but a clean sheet away from home is still not to be sniffed at.”

Esh Winning went down 5-2 at Carlisle City with Kevin Dixon and Joe Gill the scorers.

Durham City’s woes continued when they were beaten 5-0 at home by Newcastle University, and they are still six points adrift of safety.

In the BetVictor North West League, Marske United are back into the play off positions after a late penalty by Craig Gott gave them a 2-1 win and the points against Prescot.

Manager Carl Jarrett said; “The game was on a knife edge all the time, and we should have won by more than 2-1, but we’re happy to be back to winning ways.”

Gott missed an earlier penalty after Liam O’Sullivan had put Marske into the lead.

Dunston drew 0-0 with Clitheroe in the same division.

In the Premier Division, leaders South Shields lost 2-1 at home to Witton Albion, who scored both their goals in stoppage time.

Morpeth lost 1-0 at Basford, and Whitby lost 2-1 at Warrington.