Bishop Auckland’s promotion hopes took a nosedive when they were beaten 2-1 at home in their derby with West Auckland on Saturday.

Bishops needed to win to keep their slim hopes alive, but with two thirds of their league season almost gone, they are now twelve points behind third placed Shildon.

Manager Ian Chandler said; “The feeling is we deserved at least a point. We went in front early in the match only to concede before half time. We started the second half very well creating numerous chances with two sitters from Jackson Waller and Kyle Morris who really should have scored giving us a comfortable lead but they somehow failed to trouble their keeper. Then, typical of our season, West went down the other end and scored a 30-yard screamer. If we continue to improve as we've done, we'll win many more games.”

Bishops took the lead when West midfielder Lewis Dodds put through his own goal, but West levelled just after the half hour mark when Jamie Harwood sent Anthony Bell running through for the equaliser.

Bishops missed two good chances to regain the lead, and paid the penalty when Bell and Amar Purewal combined to set up Thomas Price, who beat Bishops keeper Nick Liversedge with a well-struck shot for the winner.

In the other first division matches, Hebburn climbed over Shildon into second place with a 3-0 away win at Penrith, Graeme Armstrong scoring twice.

Consett stay fifth after drawing 1-1 with Newcastle Benfield, while sixth placed Billingham Town missed a chance to get closer to the leaders by drawing 3-3 at Seaham Red Star after being 3-1 up at one point.

In the second division, Crook Town let a two-goal lead slip against Carlisle City and had to settle for a 2-2 draw.

Anthony Verity and Danny Kent scored twice within six minutes in the second half to go 2-0 up, but the visitors replied with quickfire goals themselves through Kyle Armstrong and Jordan Irving.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “I thought it was a pretty uneventful first half but probably shaded it. Second half we came out and put our foot down and at 2-0 I thought we’d see the game out. A good goal by Carlisle gave them a bit of a hold but at 2-1 everyone in the ground believed we should have got a penalty, but we then conceded from the next phase of play. I thought without being at our best we deserved to win the game.”

Crook stay in fourth, and are still three points behind Ryton and Crawcrook who drew 2-2 at Easington.

Willington had a good 2-0 away win at Bedlington thanks to two goals by Adam Storey, who also missed a penalty, to put them up to 13th.

Willington manager Ibby Hassan said; “I felt that we were back to our best. We controlled the game well in the first half, missed a penalty and could have been more ruthless on a number of occasions. Going into the second half Bedlington had a spell or two but overall we looked very comfortable at the back and I’m very happy with a clean sheet away from home.

“Given how stop-start the last few weeks have been it was overall a very solid performance.”

Chester-le-Street, with three new players in their squad, went down 1-0 at Jarrow.

Manager Colin Wake said; “It was another disappointing result from a game where we should have got something from it. We were poor first half and conceded a poor goal from a corner, a free header at the back post. Second half we were much better but lacked quality in the final third and missed a penalty fifteen minutes from time to sum up a disappointing afternoon.”

Second bottom Durham City could have done with more than just a point from their 1-1 draw with Washington, a result that leaves them six points below their opponents. Lewis Herron scored their goal.

Bottom club Brandon United were thumped 6-2 at runaway leaders West Allotment. Liam Bain got them back to 1-1 at one point, and later Lewis Charlton scored to reduce the deficit to 4-2, but Allotment were too strong.

Manager Rob Bowron said; “It's the same old for us in terms of some naivety that has cost us goals against a good side. Scoring two should be enough to take something from the game, but we played some good stuff offensively. It's a step forward as far as we are concerned.”

Tow Law’s home game with Sunderland West End was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.