Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said that his team produced a performance to savour when they beat Shildon 3-2 in their local derby at Dean Street on Saturday.

Bishops ended the Railwaymen’s seven game winning run by keeping their nerve late in the game after being pegged back to 2-2 by the promotion chasers.

Kyle Morris gave Bishops the lead on the stroke of half time, and Chris Winn made it 2-0 soon after the break. Shildon launched a fight back which saw them draw level with goals by Zak Atkinson and Danny Craggs with ten minutes left, but Morris grabbed the winner in the last minute.

“It was a performance to savour and enjoy,” Chandler said. “However, at 2-2 I was thinking we'd ran out of steam and with ten minutes to go, could we hold on.

“But we went one better and produced the winner ourselves. Special mention to Chris Winn and Kyle Morris the goal scorers but also to Jamie Marshall playing his first full game for almost a year and to my 16 year old son Ben who went on for the final 10 minutes and gave a composed display playing against a very good Shildon team. I was extremely proud of Ben and the team to grind out the victory.”

West Auckland hit top form to thump Penrith 6-0 at the Wanted Stadium.

Amar Purewal headed West in front midway through the first half, and within a minute Anthony Bell added a second.

Bell made it 3-0 before half time, and he completed his hat trick just after the break as West ran riot. Purewal and Rees Greenwood added two more in the last ten minutes.

Manager Gary Forrest said; “it was an excellent performance. Our workrate was superb, and we played some great football.”

West are in ninth place, just a point behind Bishops.

Elsewhere, Hebburn climbed over Shildon into second after winning 3-1 at Newcastle Benfield.

Whitley Bay were the day’s top scorers with a 7-1 home win over lowly Seaham Red Star, while Guisborough won the Teesside derby by 2-0 at Thornaby.

Only two games were played in the second division. Ryton and Crawcrook climbed above Crook into third place thanks to a 6-0 away win at Sunderland West End, and Easington won 2-0 at Heaton Stannington.