Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler admitted that his side could easily have lost instead of beating Sunderland RCA 2-1 at Heritage Park on Saturday.

Bishops are now up to ninth with this win, just six points off the promotion spots, and Chandler said; “We’re very happy with the result in a game we should have made easier for ourselves during the first 35 minutes but were wasteful and then thankful for keeper Nick Liversedge who made two fantastic saves at the end of the first half then one tremendous save near the end of the second half. “On another day we could have lost the game quite easily. It was an excellent winning goal from Jackson Waller, it was a lovely bit of skill to get himself space to score.”

James Fairley put Bishops in front after just two minutes, but Steven Callen fired RCA level just before half time.

Jackson Waller found space to restore Bishops’ lead early in the second half, and they had an escape when RCA hit the post late on.

Shildon had a good 4-2 away win at Ashington to go sixth.

The Railwaymen had a great first half, with Billy Greulich-Smith (2) and Danny Craggs on target, then Craggs added a fourth early in the second. Ashington scored twice late on.

Shildon are just two points below the promotion places.

Northallerton lost 3-2 at home to North Shields, to leave them fifth from bottom.

After going 2-0 down by the half hour mark, Northallerton hit back to level through David Hillerby and Callum Smith by the hour mark. But Kyle Patton scored the winner for Shields with four minutes left.

Northallerton manager Darren Trotter said; “It was another good performance in which we showed a lot of character to come from two goals down and looked the most likely to get the winner “But we all know in football you don't get what you deserve, and this was another case of this being true.

“We were more than a match for Shields creating numerous chances that were not far away and had long spells of possession. The tinge of disappointment was the manner of the goals we conceded but we are strong enough to deal with it and kick on again next week.”

Shields are now second, nine points behind leaders Hebburn with a game in hand.

In the other first division games, Stockton are still fifth after they could only draw 1-1 at Whitley Bay, Jamie Owens scoring the equaliser in the last minute.

Stockton manager Micky Dunwell said; “We dominated the whole game but didn't put chances away.”

Guisborough beat bottom club Whickham 3-1 at the King George, all of their goals scored by Steve Roberts. Guisborough manager Gary Forster said; “We were decent first half but poor in the second.”

Consett beat Billingham Town 2-1 at Belle View to go third in the table.

All but two of the second division games were washed out.

West Allotment thrashed Washington 7-1, which puts them two points behind leaders Redcar Athletic with three games in hand. Washington are still fourth bottom having played more games than the teams below them.

Easington lost 1-0 at Carlisle City.