Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said that defeat was “hard to take” when they were beaten 3-2 by Newton Aycliffe in their local derby on Saturday.

Chandler was scathing of his players following the 7-0 League Cup defeat by Stockton Town, but he was delighted with the response of his players, and thought they were worth a point.

“It was a much-improved performance and if not for being reduced to 10 men during the first half I would have expected a positive result,” he said. “We created several good chances in the first half which we should have done better with. We went behind against the run of play then lost Callum Munro, but Kyle Fryatt scored an excellent equaliser. Second half was tough going, behind again equalising with fifteen to go only to lose it. It’s tough to take.”

Aycliffe took the lead on the half hour when Liam Jarvie set up Dean Thexton to score his 20th goal of the season, and after Bishops had defender Callum Munro dismissed for a foul, Kyle Morris sent Kyle Fryatt running through for the equaliser.

Aycliffe regained the lead after half time when Thexton set up Ryan Redford to score from six yards, but Darren Richardson headed the equaliser from a corner on 73 minutes.

However, Aycliffe scored the winner on 76 minutes when Jarvie beat two defenders and fired home.

Aycliffe are now in clear second place, eleven points behind leaders Hebburn with four games in hand.

West Auckland’s climb up the table continued, and they are now just three points off the top three after beating Whitley Bay 5-1.

West took the lead in the opening minutes through Amar Purewal’s header from an Adam Mitchell corner, but Luke Taylor equalised for Whitley.

Purewal headed West back into lead from a Mitchell free kick, then Whitley had Luke Salmon red carded for a foul before half time.

Liam Hegarty got the third on the hour, with Rees Greenwood scoring twice after coming on as sub.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “It was a pleasing win. We played some great football and scored some good goals.”

In the other games, leaders Hebburn drew 4-4 at Consett in a real topsy-turvy game.

Ben Dibb-Fuller scored early on for Hebburn, but Luke Carr soon equalised. Dale Pearson put Consett in front, but Michael Richardson and then Graeme Armstrong put Hebburn 3-2 up. Jermaine Metz levelled for Consett, but Jack Robson’s goal seemed to be enough for Hebburn until Wouter Verstratten scored deep into stoppage time.

Stockton Town were held to a 1-1 draw at home by Seaham Red Star, which means they drop down to fourth.

Jamie Owens gave Stockton a half time lead, but Seaham equalised through Taylor Richardson with ten minutes left.

Stockton manager Micky Dunwell said; “We can’t be too disheartened; we’ve still picked up 26 points out of 33.”

Guisborough were beaten 4-1 at home by North Shields, who are now up to third.

Cameron Cunningham and Paul New put Shields 2-0 up, and after Mark Robinson pulled a goal back from the spot for Guisborough, Kyle Patton and Cunningham scored in the last ten minutes. Guisborough midfielder Joe Ferguson was sent off for two yellows at 2-1. Guisborough manager Gary Forster said; “It was a really poor performance made worse by a terrible refereeing display.”

Thornaby are still fourth from bottom after they lost to a late goal at Newcastle Benfield, scored by Cyril Giraud.

Thornaby manager Steven Bell said; “I was happy with our performance and players, but not the result.”

In the second division, Esh Winning put some daylight between themselves and the bottom two by winning 2-1 at Chester-le-Street – they are now three points clear of second bottom Durham City.

Nick Marley and Channon North scored twice in the pace of three minutes, with Conor Lyon scoring for Chester in the last minute.

Esh manager Tony Boakes said; “It was a fantastic performance, everyone worked well and it was nearly mistake-free.”

It was Esh’s first win in five league games.

Tow Law gave a good account of themselves at second in the table West Allotment, but lost to a second half goal.

Manager Micky Vasey said; “It was a very good game good result for West Allotment, but I think a draw would have been a fair result.”

Allotment are five points behind leaders Redcar, who won 3-0 at New Ferens Park against Washington, with goals by Sam Webster and Connor Smith (2) Redcar manager Steve Connolly said; “We had to remain patient and wait for our opportunities.”

In the other game, Newcastle University moved up to fifth with a 3-0 home win over Jarrow.

The bad weather put paid to the rest of the programme.