Newton Aycliffe are now joint second in the ENL First Division after a 1-0 away win at Billingham Town on Saturday.

Aycliffe have now won five out of their last six league matches courtesy of a second half goal by Liam McNamara, and manager Colin Stromsoy said; “We were very poor first half, Billingham showed just why they are doing so well in the League. They surprised us tactically and showed far more energy, intensity and quality without creating clear chances.

“Fortunately, we managed to get to half time where we readjusted tactically, and we were the best team in the second half. It was a very close game and decided by one moment of quality from a corner. It was fitting that it was scored by Liam McNamara who was in my view the best player on the pitch. A great and important win for us.”

Aycliffe are now level on points with Stockton Town, whose unbeaten record was ended by Sunderland Ryhope CW, and Consett.

Bishop Auckland enjoyed an excellent 4-1 away win at Whickham to put them ninth in the table.

Andy Bulford put Whickham ahead after 17 minutes, but Bishops levelled with a spectacular 30-yard lob by Darren Richardson on 34 minutes, then Kyle Fryatt cut in from the left and fired home.

It was 3-1 when Fryatt intercepted a wayward pass, ran through and scored, and in the last minute he dribbled through to complete his hat trick.

Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said; “It was a fantastic performance from start to finish. More like what I expect from the team we've had to build again. We created chances pretty much whenever we went forward and defended very well. Tom Bott and Callum Munro were excellent together. A special mention to Kyle who scored a much-needed hat trick.”

West Auckland are now seventh after winning 3-0 at Seaham Red Star.

New signing Daniel Greenfield set up the opening goal for David Dowson early on, and with 15 minutes left, Adam Mitchell curled the second. Jamie Cobain finished off some strong West pressure with the third right near the end.

Manager Gary Forrest said; “It was a good win. We missed enough chances to win five games.”

Shildon had a bad day, losing 3-0 at home to Consett to leave them four points behind second.

Dale Pearson scored twice for Consett in the first 20 minutes, with recent signing Jake Orrell scoring the third in the second half.

Shildon manager Danny Moore said; “It was a disappointing performance from start to finish, and we deserved nothing.”

Northallerton lifted themselves off the bottom of the table by winning 2-1 at Penrith.

They had an excellent first half in which Ryan McKendry and Nicky Martin both scored goals, and they held on after Penrith scored in the second half.

Northallerton assistant manager Richie Farrell said; “In difficult conditions, we stuck to our plan and performed professionally to get a much-needed result. “ Elsewhere, Hebburn are now 13 points clear at the top after beating Sunderland RCA 3-0, while second placed Stockton lost 1-0 at Sunderland Ryhope CW.

In the second division, Durham City moved off the bottom courtesy of a 4-4 draw with Tow Law at Hall Lane.

They battled back from 2-0, 3-1 and 4-3 down to claim only their seventh point of the season. Yrus Kehi, Harry Stansfield, Brandon Morrison and Anthony Chapman scored for Durham, with Matty Moffat (2), Jeff Smith and a Lewis Alderson own goal on target for Lawyers.

Durham manager Andy Inness said; "We've picked up an excellent point against a good team, so I'm really pleased. The players’ attitudes have been first class since me and joint manager Ross have come in, so they deserve huge credit to keep coming back into the game. What we have to do is stop giving teams a head start in games and hopefully the point can kickstart some momentum."

Tow Law manager Micky Vasey said; “We were coasting at 3-1. It could have been a lot more, but we didn't come out at half time and were lucky to get a draw in the end, well done Durham.”

Third bottom Esh Winning came from behind to draw 2-2 with Newcastle University at Waterhouses.

Jay McLean gave them an early lead, but the Uni hit back to lead 2-1. However, Max Stoker equalised seven minutes from the end.

Esh Winning manager Tony Boakes said; “Once again we were the better side. We gave away poor goals but battled well to get a point. Overall, we’re happy overall to get a point. Hopefully we can start getting full squads out very soon. It’s been a brutal start to the season with a crazy amount of fixtures.”

Brandon are now bottom after they narrowly lost 1-0 at league leaders Redcar Athletic, the winner coming on the stroke of half time from Connor Smith.

Brandon manager Rob Bowron said; “It was much better. We were "at it" and really deserved something against a good side. It's just the way it's falling for us!! But encouraging signs and a step in the right direction.”

On Friday night, Crook beat Willington 3-0 in their local derby, with goals by Daniel Kent (2) and Jake Petitjean.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “I think 3-0 was a fair reflection. Willington caused us one or two problems in the first half, and I didn’t think we kept the ball well enough. We were much better in the second half and the lads who came on had a real positive impact on the game. Derby games can be anything and I’m pleased the lads showed what we can do. I still think we’ve got another level to find.”

Willington manager Ibby Hassan said; “This was a big derby game and the players felt the pain. There was a good crowd, it was a painful night for both the squad and the fans. We need to turn this around immediately and get a result in the league this week.”

Chester-le-Street’s away game at Bedlington was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.