Bishop Auckland had to be content with third place on a tense last day in the ENL First Division.

Bishops were squeezed out of the runners up spot because of their 3-0 home defeat by champions Dunston UTS and Hebburn’s 2-0 home win over Consett. Hebburn are now runners-up after winning promotion last season from the second division.

Even though bishops went an early goal down, they battled hard to get back into the game, but the second half dismissal of Lewis Gibbons was too much to overcome.

Manager Ian Chandler said; “We’re delighted to have finished third eventually. We were unlucky, the early goal was soft then we battled and were the better team. Just after half time Michael Hoganson had three great long distance shots, one hitting the bar. Then we had Lewis Gibbons sent off and Dunston scored two in the last five minutes when we were chasing the game. That was the turning point to be fair. We were pressing from about 25 minutes through to the sending off.

“Congratulations to Dunston though, they’re well-deserved league winners.”

Dunston, who will be playing at the next level up next season, took the lead through leading scorer Mark Fitzpatrick after five minutes but Bishops went close to equalising on several occasions.

However, Gibbons’ second yellow card saw them reduced to ten men, and in the last few minutes Dan Halliday and Liam Brooks added further goals.

Hebburn, meanwhile, kept their nerve to beat Consett 2-0 with goals by Luke Sullivan and Graeme Armstrong.

Newton Aycliffe finished their fixtures with a good 3-1 home win over Guisborough at Moore Lane.

Thy scored all their goals in the first half through Kurt Matthews, Ali Alshabeeb and Vinny Gash, with Brian Close replying for Guisborough.

Manager Colin Stromsoy said; “We’re delighted with the win. Certainly wasn't our best performance but they went in for once. Gez Richardson was outstanding today for us in a squad that was missing lots of key players. We're delighted to finish 12th which was beyond my expectations back in January. Massive credit to the lads for the improvement and final league position.”

Aycliffe finished the season 12th in the table.

West Auckland, who play in the League Cup final on Easter Monday drew 1-1 with Stockton Town at the Wanted Stadium.

Stockton took the lead through Sonni Coleman’s goal, but Nathan Fisher continued his recovery from injury with the equaliser.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “Good draw, fair result, and most of all it was good to see Nathan Fisher on the score sheet.”

Shildon warmed up for their Durham Challenge Cup final with a good 3-1 away win at Whitley Bay to finish sixth.

Billy Greulich-Smith scored twice in the first half, with Ben Trotter adding a third before Luke Salmon pulled a goal back.

Whitley had Kieran Brannen sent off following a flare up late in the game.

In the second division, the title race will go to the last day of the season after Billingham Town returned to the top following their 4-1 home win over Birtley. They are now two points ahead of Thornaby.

Crook won 4-3 at Easington despite having a man sent off in the first half.

Jake Petitjean gave Crook an early lead, but Easington came back with goals by Chris Pearson, Liam Adamson and a Kevin Devine penalty awarded when Ellis Husband was red-carded. But Petitjean and Daniel Kent (2) responded for Crook to give them victory.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “It was a whirlwind of a game today and one we are delighted to get three points from. Three one down and a man sent off after half an hour isn't the ideal first third of the game, after taking the lead and looking in control in the first ten minutes. The lads showed great character to get back in the game and executed the game plan we gave them at half time perfectly. They were a credit to the club today and deserve the praise they'll get from the supporters.”

Northallerton, who face Chester-le-Street in the Ernest Armstrong Cup final on Friday consolidated third place with a 1-0 home win over Washington, Nicky Martin scoring their goal.

Manager Darren Trotter said; “I was very pleased we came through the game unscathed. We rested a few players gave five Academy players a place in the squad and got the result we required -- and a good clean sheet that takes us now into Fridays Final in a good frame of mind.”

Chester-le-Street finished fifth following their 3-1 home defeat by Billingham Synthonia, even though they led 1-0 courtesy of a Kieran Megran goal.

Manager Colin Wake said; “It summed up our season. We had a bright opening could and should have been more than the one goal up, but then we let our standards slip and were well and truly beaten in the end by a side who played the better football and wanted it more on the day. It was a disappointing end to the league campaign but to finish fifth with this group of players is an achievement in itself so overall I have to be pleased with the season’s performance.”

Even though Josh Scott gave them a fourth minute lead against Redcar, Tow Law lost 2-1 at home to their visitors.

Tow Law manager Steve Murray said; “We were very poor, we deserved the result.”

Durham City’s hopes of climbing off the bottom suffered a blow when they were beaten 5-0 at Heaton Stannington. Manager Billy Harper said; “The first 45 minutes were the worst I’ve witnessed during my tenure here. We got caught watching the game instead of being involved in it defensively.

“Second half was much better and created much more than the home team. However, without any recognised strikers in the squad, we couldn’t convert to get back into it. All in all, a very poor day at the office.”

Brandon will definitely finish in the bottom two after losing 3-1 at Bedlington.

Esh Winning lost 2-1 at home to Ryton and Crawcrook to leave them fourth bottom.