The race for the runners-up spot in the EBAC Northern League will be decided this Saturday after Bishop Auckland dropped points again in a 1-1 draw at


on Saturday.

While Bishops have won only once in their last seven matches, Hebburn have won five and drawn two of their last seven to overtake them into second place, while Consett can still finish second if they win their last game.

Bishops had to come from behind after a poor first half. Billy Greulich-Smith gave Shildon the lead with a shot on the turn into the top corner, and they could have added to their score before half time.

But Bishops were much better in the second half, and they levelled six minutes after half time with a low free kick by Michael Hoganson.

Both sides had chances to win it, but the best of them fell to Andrew Johnson, but the normally lethal striker missed with the goal at his mercy.

Bishop Auckland manager Ian Chandler said; “It was another hard-earned point, but we keep giving teams a head start. Our first half displays need to be much better, as our second half displays are very very good, and we force the game and create many more chances. Credit to the lads they never know when we are beaten, and the last two games have proven that.

“I’m happy to be still in with a chance of being second – a couple of weeks ago I thought we might not have.”

Bishops are at home to champions Dunston this Saturday, while Hebburn are at home to Consett. It looks though as if only Dunston will be promoted at the end of the season, unless the FA says differently in the end of season shake up.

Hebburn, meanwhile, easily beat bottom club Whickham 5-1 to go a point ahead of Bishops.

Newton Aycliffe won’t finish in the bottom three after they won 1-0 at North Shields, the goal scored by Jermaine Metz, who raced clear on 69 minutes and slotted the ball past the Shields keeper.

Newton Aycliffe manager Colin Stromsoy said; “We’re pleased as it guarantees First Division status next year. We got what we deserved, the players were excellent and never allowed North Shields to play to their strengths. We’re delighted to secure our status with a 1-0 away win and clean sheet. “ West Auckland finally found their shooting boots at home to Ashington, beating them 3-0.

Adam Burnicle set up Amar Purewal to score after eight minutes, then Purewal scored from a few yards just after half time.

Nathan Fisher, who is slowly returning from injury, provided the pass for Tom Price to make it 3-0 near the end.

West Auckland manager Gary Forrest said; “It was a good win, but again, it should have been a lot more.”

The race for the second division title and the automatic promotion place will go to the last Saturday of the season after the top two both won away. Leaders Billingham Town won 2-0 at Redcar, while second placed Thornaby won 3-2 at Easington.

Northallerton will finish third after they won 2-1 at Billingham Synthonia on Friday night.

Chester-le-Street can still finish fourth after they won 2-0 at Jarrow, with goals by Kieran Megran and Andrew Clarkson.

Chester-le-Street manager Colin Wake said; “It was a much better all-round performance built on a solid back four. A clean sheet was well deserved, and the 2-0 scoreline could and should have been more comfortable. A much-improved performance, so a good day and a good three points.”

Crook did Chester-le-Street a favour by drawing 2-2 with Heaton Stannington. Daniel Kent and Joseph Smith in turn put Crook in the lead, but they were cancelled out.

Crook manager Jamie Tunstall said; “I think it was probably a fair result. A draw is a decent point but winning 1-0 and 2-1 you always feel you could go on and get three. It shows how far we've come in a short space of time to be only content with a point against fourth in the table. Another positive step forward for us as a group.”

Willington striker Matty Moffat returned to his previous club Tow Law, and scored a hat trick in their 4-1 win, Stuart Thompson scoring the other. Dan Curry had equalised for Lawyers on the half hour mark.

Willington manager Steve Riley said; “I was pleased with the lads’ performance and most important, their work ethic. We weren't at our best in the first half, but managed to create some good chances but couldn't put them away. Second half we were very dominant and got our reward. There were some great performances through the whole team but Matty Moffat showed his class with not just his goals but his forward play on his return to Tow Law.”

Esh Winning easily beat third bottom Washington 4-0 to lift them eight points above the bottom three. Matty Allison scored a second half hat trick, with Nick Marley scoring the other. Reece Brown also missed a penalty.

Manager Tony Boakes said; “It was an all-round good team performance. It took us a while to get going and some good saves from Tom Orton kept us in a 1-0 lead. Then a few adjustments saw us play much better in second half.”

Durham City gave themselves some hope of finishing above bottom spot after they beat second bottom Brandon 2-1 at Hall Lane.

Ellis Wymer put them into the lead in the second minute, but Ben Joyeux equalised. However, Harris Saunders scored the winner on the hour.

Durham City manager Billy Harper said; “We got the result we needed, we have played better this season and got nothing but can't complain as the better side on the day got the points. We’re looking forward now to this week’s games.”

Durham are now six points behind Brandon, with a game in hand, and four games left.