Spennymoor’s second string didn’t have it all their own way when they beat Billingham Town 3-2 in the first round of the Durham Challenge Cup last night.

Moors took the lead with their first attack of the game, when Ryan Hall put the ball through for Andrew Johnson to fire home.

Moors dominated the game, and could have added further goals with Brad Fewster missing a good chance when he was clean through, while Craig Ellison was also unlucky with an effort.

But Billingham slowly got back into the game, and Ashley Lavan fired just over the bar.

In the second half, Moors got on top again, and after Town keeper Alex Leeds saved from Johnson, they went 2-0 up on the hour when Hall sent Johnson through again, and the striker easily beat the keeper.

Again, Town kept going and pulled a goal back when Joe Kerridge made a good run in from the right hand side on 66 minutes and beat Dan Lowson with a good shot, and a few minutes later Lavan missed a great chance to equalise.

However, Hall dribbled through and fired Moors 3-1 up, but there was still time for Elliott Beddow to pull one back with a shot on the turn.

One minus for Moors though was that Rob Ramshaw and Brad Fewster both went off injured during the game.

Spennymoor: Lowson, Dunn, Blackbourne, King, Turnbull, Hall, Burns, Ramshaw (sub Grant 46), Johnson, Ellison, Fewster (sub Jackson 37) Shildon had a real scare before they beat Durham City 5-4 on penalties at Hall Lane.

Durham stunned Shildon by taking the lead early on, when Callum Smith pounced on an error by Sam Hodgson and beat Shildon keeper Nick Liversedge.

Durham held on to the lead until ten minutes from time, when Billy Greulich-Smith headed home, and the Railwaymen managed to scrape through in the shootout.

West Auckland beat Crook 2-1 thanks to a late goal.

West took the lead when an effort by Arran Wearmouth was deflected past the Crook keeper Dan Scott, but Crook made a fight of it and levelled nine minutes from time when Dan Johnston chipped the keeper. However, Denver Morris fired into the top corner and restored West’s lead.

Newton Aycliffe lost 1-0 at home to Consett, for whom Michael Mackay scored after 38 minutes from a Clark Kay pass.

Chester-le-Street pulled off a surprise by beating Ryhope CW 3-1, Alex White scoring twice in the last three minutes to put his side through, and also complete his hat trick.