DARLINGTON RA finally broke their duck at the seventh time of asking when they beat Jarrow Roofing 1-0.

The second division’s bottom club have had a wretched time so far this season, but got their reward for a battling performance when Roofing’s Keith Graydon sliced a clearance into his own goal in the second-half.

Joint manager David Woodcock said; “It’s a massive weight off our back. We looked as if we were going to create chances, while we looked solid with Danny Key at the back.

“But there’s no point in beating Jarrow Roofing if we’re going to lose at Prudhoe on Wednesday.”

There were several surprise results in the first division.

Northallerton won only their second game of the season when they beat Consett 2-0 at Ainderby Road. John Ryan scored both goals and, to cap a personal eventful day, was red carded in the last minute for an off the ball incident.

Second-bottom Chester-le- Street scored a last minute winner through Josh Home- Jackson to beat Whitley Bay by the odd goal in seven.

Chester led 2-0 through Craig Price and Elliott Gardner, but Whitley levelled before halftime through Tony Woodhouse and Mark Minto. Early in the second half, Gardner made it 3-2, only for Woodhouse to equalise.

The wins for Northallerton and Chester-le-Street mean Bishop Auckland are now stranded five points behind the others after they lost to a late goal at Dunston.

Bishops held their own until Andy Bulford dispossessed a defender to open the scoring on 58 minutes, but Gavin Parkin fired a deserved equaliser. However, Amar Purewal missed a good chance for Bishops, and Dunston went straight up the other end to score the winner through Jack Burns.

Billingham Town recovered from their midweek hammering at Whitley Bay to draw 1- 1 at South Shields.

Shields took the lead on 75 minutes through Marc Brocklehurst but Danny Earl equalised from a Mattie Hammerton pass.

Billingham Synthonia are top the table following five straight wins, beating Tow Law 5-1 at Central Avenue.

The Lawyers more than held their own in the first half, and took the lead through a David Abel own goal, but then the Synners’ defender levelled from close range at the other end.

Jamie Magowan nabbed a hat-trick before Richard Langthorne put a Michael Jameson cross into his own net.

The top two both won in the other second division games.

Leaders Whitehaven had no problems winning 5-2 at North Shields, and second placed Norton beat Brandon 3-1 at Station Road. David Alderson scored twice inside the first 20 minutes for Norton, with Chris Dunwell scoring a third just after half time.

Mark O’Dea pulled a goal back for Brandon after 71 minutes.

Horden lost ground after they let a two goal lead slip against Birtley and had to settle for a 2-2 draw. Shaun Hope gave them a half time lead with an overhead kick, and with the wind at their backs went 2-0 up through Chris Pearson. But Birtley rescued a point with late goals by Chris Hepple and Tony Thirkell.

Whickham’s new boss Terry Ritson won his second league game after they came from behind to beat Thornaby for the second week running, this time by 2-1. Thomas Burke gave Thornaby the lead, but Whickham hit back with two goals in four minutes by Andy Hay and Tony Dowson.

Washington are unbeaten in their last four league games after a 3-0 victory over Team Northumbria.

Even though Darlington RA beat Jarrow Roofing, they’re still bottom because Prudhoe drew 2-2 at Hebburn.

West Auckland finally beat Wearside League club Annfield Plain in the Durham Challenge Cup at the third time of asking, but not after they went behind in unusual circumstances, when a clearance by Plain keeper Stephen Kennedy sailed over West keeper Nicky Farrell’s head into the net.

Garry Barnes levelled for West just after half time, and five minutes from the end Dale Jardine fired the winner.

In the UniBond League premier division, Whitby Town moved further away from the bottom by beating Prescot Cables 3-0 at the Turnbull Ground, Steve Huggins, Jimmy Beadle and Sam Garvie scoring in the second half.

Newcastle Blue Star won 3- 0 at Radcliffe in the first division north, Stephen Salvin (2) and Steve Bowey scoring.

Blyth lost 4-2 at home to Kings Lynn in the Blue Square North, while Gateshead won 2-1 at Vauxhall Motors.