DARLINGTON were left wondering how they managed to come away with nothing after suffering a 2-1 defeat at Chorley.

Quakers haven’t won at Victory Park since they became a fan-owned club, and they’ll never have a better opportunity than this to win a game there.

They had more of the possession and were presented with some excellent chances, but only had a second-half goal from Luke Charman to show for their efforts.

It was a frustrating return to live action for manager Alun Armstrong, who sat in the stand throughout the game as he continues to recover from a hernia operation.

“With the chances we created, we should have come away with at least a point,” said Armstrong. “To come to Chorley and create that many chances, is no mean feat. We opened them up in the second half, but you’ve got to put the ball in the onion bag. And if you’re not taking your chances, you have to make sure that the back door is closed. I thought we deserved our equaliser, but then we switched off at the back from a set-play.

“Their keeper was made man of the match, which sums it up really. I thought it was a good away performance, but we didn't take our chances. I can’t be too downhearted, it was just so annoying to concede crap goals. It hurts when you lose a game when you should have got something.”

Chorley only had a low shot by Connor Hall to their credit, before they took the lead on 38 minutes. Will Hatfield was flattened by an attempted cross from the left and was clearly hurt, but the referee allowed play to continue and Millenic Alli whipped in a low cross that Darlington defender Ben Hedley, running towards his own goal, could only help into the net.

Quakers' good play was rewarded with a goal on 76 minutes, when Jake Cassidy headed Jarrett Rivers’ cross back across goal for Charman to nod into the bottom corner.

But Chorley replied just two minutes later, when sub Jacob Blyth was left completely unmarked to head in a corner from Will Tomlinson.

Quakers nearly grabbed the point they deserved in stoppage time when sub Jack Lambert’s left-foot shot was firmly held by Chorley keeper Matt Unwin.