SPENNYMOOR Town are through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup after a hard fought replay win over AFC Fylde where there’ll face Southport.

Glen Taylor’s first half penalty was the difference between the two sides at the Brewery Field as Southport edged passed Chorley by a goal to nil.

It almost took Spennymoor just a minute to opening the scoring when neat play in the middle and a long header beyond the defence freed up Rob Ramshaw but the midfielder come striker blasted his shot just passed the post at the angle.

Moors started the brighter of the two sides and it took Fylde ten minutes to register an attempt on target, which was a tame shot by former Altrincham striker Jordan Hulme. That pretty much set the tone for the first half.

Brad Abbott was the scorer in the 1-1 draw on Saturday and he was almost back to haunt Fylde when a returned cross from a long corner drifted it’s way to Abbott but his shot with the outside of his foot flashed just wide of the near post.

Moors were piling on the pressure and it felt like a goal for the home side was an inevitability. That chance came when Jamie Chandler broke passed the defence and was bundled down in the box by Dan Pike.

Glen Taylor, the club’s all time top scorer stepped up from 12 yards and showed his class sending keeper Chris Neal the wrong way on 26 minutes.

Captain James Curtis was just inches away from instantly doubling the lead when a corner ball was met firmly by the tall defender who powered his header just over the bar.

Taylor then was close to producing an outrageous goal from distance. After a number of ricochets and a bit of head tennis on the edge of the box, Taylor showed great improvisation to fire a half volley first time only for Neal to brilliantly deny the striker diving low to his right.

Moors were relentless in the pressure and the chances just kept coming. Ramshaw was next to come close when Scott McClean’s cross was glanced off the head of the attacker but the ball smacked the top of the bar.

The half time whistle blew and Fylde had some breathing space and were lucky to just be one goal behind.

The Northern Echo: Moors midfielder Adriano Moke in action against AFC Fylde. PICTURE: DAVID NELSON.Moors midfielder Adriano Moke in action against AFC Fylde. PICTURE: DAVID NELSON.

Within minutes of the second half getting underway, Bermudan goalkeeper Dale Eve produced a save that left most spectators, including a number of Fylde players bewildered as to how he kept it out. A curling free-kick into the Moors box was headed up into the air and the ball dropped to winger Ben Tollitt from virtually point blank range. Eve spread himself and somehow managed to palm away a half volley from around four yards out.

The away side were finally starting to gain a foothold in the game but in Taylor, Spenny have someone who can pull a rabbit out of the hat and he was agonisingly close to doing so with a header just over the bar.

Moors were almost the masters of their own downfall when Joe Tait’s attempted clearance was sliced and almost let in Tollitt for another effort but the ball dropped awkwardly as he shinned the volley wide.

This all happened in the space of ten minutes. It’s never dull at the Brewery Field.

Tait then almost atoned for his sliced clearance ten minutes later when another teasing cross from Abbott was met by the head of the defender but the effort flew just wide.

The game lulled for around 20 minutes as legs tired and the game became a bit nip and tuck. While Moors dominance had been on show for the first half, the second half showed that the game could have easily swung Fylde’s way given the one goal margin.

Jim Bentley, former Morecambe manager, threw on all three substitutes while Tommy Miller held firm with his Spennymoor eleven.

Taylor and Ramshaw have played a part in eighty per cent of Moors goals this season. It was clear why when three minutes from time, they linked up as Ramshaw nodded down and Taylor struck low but Neal was equal to the threat.

As four minutes of stoppage time were held aloft by the fourth official, the away side threw the keeper forward for a corner but Moors held firm and sealed a hard fought win that sees their FA Cup journey continue.

Spennymoor Town (3-5-2): Dale Eve; Ryan Hall, Joe Tait, James Curtis, Carl Magnay, Scott McClean; Adriano Moke, Brad Abbott, Jamie Chandler; Rob Ramshaw; Glen Taylor

AFC Fylde (4-2-3-1): Chris Neal; Dan Pike, Alex Whitmore, Jamie Stott, Luke Conlon; Luke Joyce (Stephen Dobbie 49’), Liam Nolan; Ben Tollitt, Ethan Walker, Nick Haughton (Sam Osbourne  69’); Jordan Hulme (Jack Sampson 69’)

Goals: Glen Taylor 26’ (converted from the penalty spot)

Attendance: 1,094 (54 away)

Booking: Glen Taylor 83’ (time wasting by not giving the ball back)