HEBBURN TOWN lifted the 2019-20 FA Vase after triumphing in yesterday’s all-North-East final against Consett – and the Tynesiders are already dreaming of being able to defend their trophy in front of a Wembley crowd in three weeks’ time.

Oliver Martin’s 83rd-minute winner enabled Hebburn to claim the biggest victory of their 109-year history, and broke the hearts of a Consett side that led twice, only to be pegged back within two minutes of scoring on each occasion.

Yesterday’s final was held over from last season because of Covid, and Hebburn have already progressed to the quarter-finals of this season’s competition, where they will meet Warrington Rylands, conquerors of Shildon and West Auckland, this weekend.

By the time the final takes place at the end of the month, supporters should be able to attend. So, while yesterday’s victory at an empty Wembley might have been special, there is a strong determination to do it all again in front of the Hebburn fans.

“We would love to come back and do it all again,” said Hebburn boss Kevin Bolam. “We realise we’ve got a very tough task on Saturday. Warrington Rylands are a very good side, but we’d love to come back here and do it again with our friends and families. We’ll enjoy today and tomorrow, then we’ll be focusing on the weekend.

“We’ve already chatted about the next few weeks, and the guys would love to be able to come back here with their wives and families. I’d love to have my wife and children down here as well. It’s a shame that hasn’t been possible this weekend, but we’ve got a resilient group and we’ll look to go again.”

Hebburn almost went out of business a few years ago, and Bolam felt yesterday’s victory was a fitting reward for the community effort that went into turning the club around.

“I’m so pleased for the people of Hebburn, and the people behind the scenes, the owners who have come to the club and rescued us basically,” he said. “It’s a club full of good people, and I’m just so pleased that myself and all the lads have been able to bring home the trophy.”

Consett twice went ahead through goals from Ali Alshabeeb and Dale Pearson, but the Steelmen were unable to hold on to their leads and were left devastated when Martin struck with seven minutes left.

“I’m so proud of the players,” said Consett boss Terry Mitchell, who revealed that Jake Orrell had sustained no lasting damage despite suffering a nasty head injury that resulted in him being stretchered off in the first half. “We’re obviously very disappointed to have lost, but I couldn’t be any prouder of the lads.

“I thought we played particularly well in the first half, but we just couldn’t quite continue in the way we should have done in the second half. But it’s been an absolutely magnificent two days. To step out there was brilliant."